Bathtub re-surfacing

Nick Price

Does anyone know of a professional service that will re-surface the enamel on an old cast iron bath tub - preferably in situ? Alternatively, a DIY resurfacing kit would work if I could find one.

I live near Angouleme in the Charente (16).

Many Thanks

Hi Nick,

Some years ago my father used a DIY kit called Tubby to resurface his enamel bath. The finish was excellent and is still good today (at least ten years later). At the time it cost him about £40.00p. I couldn't find the enamel bath kit from Tubby, but here is a link to a site which sells bath re-enameling kits. http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/ . I have no affiliation to this company. Once you find the product it might be worth checking out ebay.

At the same time I tried to find someone in the UK that would professionally re-enamel an old ball and claw foot bath that I had. I could not find anyone that would do it. I was quoted from £600-1000 minimum depending on the weight for shipping. What you have to bear in mind is that the old surface will need to be shotblasted off and the new surface, which is basically powdered glass put on and then put in an oven. If the enamel is just discoloured and not badly worn or chipped it could be worth trying a very fine abrasive polishing paste with one of those small polishing tools.

Hope this is useful.

Regards

Paul