We are having serious problems with an architect and are looking for legal advice

Cunfin

We contracted an architect based in UK to manage our renovations but before the work is anywhere near completed we have become totally disenchanted with his service. We have told him we are cancelling the contract and he has sent us an unrealistic final invoice where he has based his bill on several "assumptions". This is not the forum to expand on details but I would just like to know if anyone can recommend a good lawyer who will advise me on how to deal with this? Customers presumably have certain rights governing what they can expect from an architect?

Or perhaps someone else has had bad architect experiences from which they can offer advice?

How was he managing your renovations if he was based in the UK - was he at fault in his project management or in his plans?  You will need a UK lawyer if the contract is under UK law - not sure the Living France forum is the best place for this advice (unless I've misunderstood and the contract is actually under French law).

Phil

Agree with Phil.

You appear to have entered into a UK based contract with a UK based architect to undertake a house renovation based in a foreign country (I assume part of the disputed costs involve his periodic visits to France in order to properly manage your project).  You should therefore consult a UK solicitor.

.....then hire a local French architect to do the job properly  [;-)]

Ask your architect for the details of the arbitration service which is provided by the professional body where he gained his qualifications before you go galloping off to find a lawyer.

This should make him realise that you are serious and maybe then you can sit down together and negotiate a settlement agreeable to both of you. That's assuming of course that he has professional qualifications.

Benjamin

Hi

It is a little difficult for anyone to make comment with so little background, but, if you know he is in breach of the contract, ie that he is acting outside of the specifics of the original agreement, tell him, and that you will not be requiring his services further, and leave it at that.

Let him make the first move its the most expensive:)

good luck

Have a look at www.architectes.org or www.riba.org. There is a legal requirement for an architect working in France to be insured and registered with the Ordre des Architectes and they have a complaints tribunal which prevents (in theory) legal procedings, if he is not registered in France the ordre should be able to point you to the correct government consumer complaints/fraud division to raise the issue with.

However as the architect seems to be working from the UK I would contact RIBA too, either after your ruling from the ordre or before.

Where did you find this guy? A whole bunch of us have had problems with a small number of individuals so it's good to know who to avoid.

Pity it's someone in UK. I have recently successfully used the French legal route to pursue money owed to me by a company punching above its weight. This sounds like someone who's looking to get out quick because they can't handle the work, a bit like my case.

If you choose to use someone in France at a later date, be very careful. As Hegs says, any number of people around here, including me, have been led a merry dance by dodgy individuals (often ex pats) who try to play on the fact that you are operating from the UK. Watch out for companies which claim to be jack of all trades. They are usually master of none!

Good luck anyway.