De Dietrich wood burning stove

londoneye

its  a long shot but does anyone have one of these?  looks quite old but not ancient - we need to put in new flue but although stove is pretty much in bits around kithcen at moment we cannot find how to take out old flue?     don't suppose anyone can help but if anyone has one and would like to describe it, and has changed flue, perhaps i can establish if same model.   can't find a model number on it?

sorry if i have wasted time of anyone who has read this - when i say stove i mean cooker !   and we have now managed to remove flue through brute force/ignorance.

when we do eventually get new flue fitted, next problem is working out how to use it, so i would still love to hear from anyone who has one - its brown and cream at front (quite an ugly thing actually) - looks 1950's ish in style.

thanks

Hi - we inherited one with the house and used it for two winters before replacing it with a normal woodburner.

I found it great for heating the room and cooking casseroles on top but the oven was pretty useless unless the fire was roaring non-stop and then the kitchen was too hot to sit in!

We got our chimney sweep guy (ramoneur) to clean the cooker and fit a new flue (plus chimney plate and sweep chimney) when we moved in. Just chucked firelighters and 25cms logs in, lit it, shut it down, and kept it loaded with wood - the thing stayed in for months.

Sorry to see it go but all the fire bricks needed replacing so the scrap man took it. Good luck.

Hello londoneye

Send me a photo at  [email protected] , it sounds like a 'used to be popular/common' type of cuisiniere.

We used one ourselves for about 2 months earlier this year mostly for heating, and it worked really well ......once lit. With our De Dietrich model, on lighting (very straightforward) with a cold stove and flue, the design of the top plates (gaps everywhere) allowed smoke to escape, but within minutes this cleared and didn't give any further problems....plus stayed in for as long as fuel was put into it. We used Charme and Oak, Oak kept it in over night without a problem for such a relatively small firebox, and for one evening only we used Anthracite, which was only half burnt after about 7 hours!!

We are now replacing the De Dietrich with a large Godin cylinder, gives us more space, also goes with the style of an old fermette, and has a large firebox = can now saw wood into 50cm lengths instead of 35cm. I must say that I will miss the cuisiniere even though it's an ugly old thing, they are well built and very welcoming too.

Hope this helps

Jamie