Water Conservation

Sunshine

I understand that grants are available - but subject to conditions. It appears to be a bit like the "friendly" woodburners. It has to be a professional system and professionally installed. Coincidentally we have recently received flyers advertising such systems.  However we too have large tanks in the barn. they are old wine cisterns and last November we sealed one and diverted the guttering from a quarter of the roof into the cistern. It contains 19000 litres and was full by the end of February. We had some expense obviously for piping, valves etc and a pump but are now reaping the benefits and intend to convert another this winter. I would say, grant or not you should go for it - you will reap the benefits if water rationing comes again. You will of course need some rain to fill it up which may be difficult just now.

On a related subject,

Does anyone know where I can get hold of one (or 10 actually) of those square plastic water tanks in a metal cage which hold 1000 litres? Farmers seem to have them, but the only one near here, when asked, said he'd had it so long he couldn't remember where it had come from!

p

P - Our local agri co-op sells them - 120 euros each.

Sunshine - just buy a submersable pump(about 50 euros), some huge waterbutts and a hose, et voila! Position the waterbutts in useful places around the garden and fill from the citern.

Sorry - don't know about grants or rigging it up to the loo!

I ordered two 1000 litre 'cuves' from a dealer in the advertising newspaper 'Paru Vendu' that gets shoved in the letterbox each week.  They were second hand but perfectly good, unmarked, and only cost 65 euros each plus 15 euros delivery.  Cheaper than buying new.

Thank you Chas.

we have about  24k litres in a citern which is fed from only 25% of our roof,  which I use to water the garden with a pump.  We are just about to put new guttering all around the house which will therefore provide more reusable water.  Do you still have the flyers? if so can you please email me the website or telephone number.

My husband says this task is not 700 on his list but the 700th page so may take us some time, but of course if grants are available this may help...  depending on the cost!!!.

Regards 

[quote user="Chas"]

I understand that grants are available - but subject to conditions. It appears to be a bit like the "friendly" woodburners. It has to be a professional system and professionally installed. Coincidentally we have recently received flyers advertising such systems.  However we too have large tanks in the barn. they are old wine cisterns and last November we sealed one and diverted the guttering from a quarter of the roof into the cistern. It contains 19000 litres and was full by the end of February. We had some expense obviously for piping, valves etc and a pump but are now reaping the benefits and intend to convert another this winter. I would say, grant or not you should go for it - you will reap the benefits if water rationing comes again. You will of course need some rain to fill it up which may be difficult just now.

[/quote]

This a smimming pool without the tiles, surely ?

p