water and electric

londoneye

I know that there have been previous postings on this subject, but for budgetting purposes i am interested in knowing if anyone has recently had water and/or electric connected to a new building.   We are currently renovating two buildings on our land, both of which are less than 5 metres from an existing water and electric supply.   In my original budget i had allowed something like £3,000 for this (purely as a guess) but am not sure if i am way over or way under.

Appreciate from other postings that i need to get water/electric people out to  give us a cost, but dont actually need these services til next year, so was wondering if anyone would know if my budgetted cost was in line?

many thanks (PS there are some old postings with costs in francs, but i am afraid francs mean nothing to me)

We had a "branchement" to our exisiting small house which had never had any electricity supply so I suppose that it was similar to a new build.  We initially had to pay for the supply being brought underground from the village to the boundry of our property, we asked for it to be to the front door but were told that the furthest they could take it was to the boundry.  As you already have this I suppose this bit is not revelant but may be to others.

At that point we then paid 900 euros for the branchement which was approximately 20 metres. We paid half up front and were billed for the rest on connection.  We did do things the wrong way though which meant we did not get connected up as soon as we might have done.  The EDF were not prepared to do the branchement until we had a consuel certificate for all the internal wiring, so we had to then wait for an electrician to come and wire us up - should have done this first.  Also we were quite surprised that we had to do our own trench work, including knocking a large hole from underground up into the house to accommodate the gaine rouge.  That too had to be ready for the EDF guys.  All they were doing was pushing the cable through and wiring it up to the outside and inside boxes. Oh and we did get a new meter, which again I suppose you will need. 

Could be different for you though if your nearest electricity supply is not underground, although we were given to understand that any connection to houses that have previously not had a supply must be underground. 

[quote user="westland"]

Could be different for you though if your nearest electricity supply is not underground, although we were given to understand that any connection to houses that have previously not had a supply must be underground. 

[/quote]

Our local (Ploermel, 56) rules say that new supplies must be underground, but that if the main feed is aerial (on poles!) then the new supply can be. So if your neighbours (or the OP's existing house) has an overhead feed then the new ones could as well.

But in the next commune....?[8-)]

[quote user="Albert the InfoGipsy"]

Our local (Ploermel, 56) rules say that new supplies must be underground, but that if the main feed is aerial (on poles!) then the new supply can be. So if your neighbours (or the OP's existing house) has an overhead feed then the new ones could as well.

But in the next commune....?[8-)]

[/quote]

The underground rule applies here in 22, too.

EG. around the corner, a renovation had a pole 1M from the corner of the house. The supply had to be taken down the pole through a 1M long trench and up the wall to the meter (1st floor), a few feet from the supply. C'est France!