Damp Floor

Gunner

I'm trying to find something that I can paint onto a damp concrete floor to give it some kind of seal before tiling. I have sourced this kind of product in england, however have no idea what I am looking for over here. Does anyone know what this product might be called or even if such a thing exists?

There is something called Goudron that is a concrete sealant but don't know if its what you need - want.

You could do with one of those 'it does exactly what it says on the tin' type products , can't remember the name, but I know they do one in the UK for sealing damp.

When doing floorlaying in UK I used to use Synthaprufe. You have to apply a good coat ,without missing any patches.Not the sort of thing to get yourself stuck in a corner with!,.Depending on what you are putting  down after, you will either have to put a sand finish on it or if sticking vinyl, you will have to apply a paperfelt,with dry synthaprufe to it's underside. If you are ceramic tiling you can get waterproof adhesives. Any vinyl flooring on a damp floor will just collect the moisture underneath it and smell. You can also get waterproof floor screeds which you mix with a latex mix, supposedly self-levelling but usually needing a whizz over with a large steel float. You can tile or lay carpet straight on top of this.

Regards.

Gunner

Is the damp a persistent problem?

You might find out if you lay tiles that the moisture will want to surface/ cause the tiles to lift no matter what you try to paint on to contain the damp.

If it is a ground level or cellar floor, it may get very cold in Winter and the moisture can freeze. Something will give and it will probably be the tiles.

It sounds to me that the problem will not go away if you try to cover it up - it may well get worse as the moisture cannot evaporate so easily. The concrete should have a proper damp proof course built in and if it is an old floor - who knows.

Sorry if this is not what what you were hoping to hear but it is from my own experience with a damp floor.

Danny