how to finish oak frame work and windows?

carla

The north wall of our (in progress) house extension consists of an oak framework in 15 x 15cm timber into which will be fitted oak windows.   This work is being done by local artisans, but we will do the finishing ourselves. 

Local advice is  to use 'lasure'..................we want to keep the wood as light as possible, and would like to avoid too much 'yellowing' of the oak as it ages.  We really like the silvery grey finish of old   (? untreated) oak but are advised that leaving the window frames untreated/unfinished is not a good idea.  Does anyone have experience of leaving  oak window frames as bare untreated wood?

What sort of finish will we get from 'lasure'?  Is a wax or oil finish to wood suitabe for outdoor timber?

Thanks for any advice.

Thanks cassis,  I've done some searching.  Guess I'd really like to leave the whole lot unfinished, but not sure if this is appropriate for the window frames.  Can anyone explain what is meant by "green oak"

Carla, 'green oak' is Oak that has not been dried at all (sorry Cassis, don't mean to contradict you), in other words it's fresh and will still have a very high moisture content. I doubt very much that your windows or frames are made from green oak, the oak would have been kiln dried, possibly down to 10%-12%.

Lasure will maintain the new look of the Oak, containing anti UV and anti fungal agents

Yes you could leave them unfinished, you might find that as the timber 'settles' into it's new environment it moves a little initially requiring a little remedial trimming.

Good luck, Chris

No it's different Cassis, more of a traditional picnic bench with incorporated seating, but the top will be made from 8cm thick oak slabs 3m long and maybe a little carving in it. The clients had the Oak cut from their own trees and wanted something that would last. I'll post piccys when it's done.

Anyone else got any timber projects they want to show?

Chris