Oak & water

Chris Head

I've got as few projects in mind where I'm planning to use water flowing over Oak, I want to keep the original appearance of the Oak and have no idea what product to use. I'm sure oils and lasures are not up to the job. Any ideas? I've researched it a little but not with any conclusion.

Chris

Hi Chris

Excuse me if I sound a bit thick but did you mean as an 'arty' type installation?

Will the timber be immersed in water, partly soaked or intermittently wet?

If the timber is kept wet you'll find oak is incredibly durable, problems arise when you have a wetting / drying cycle being constantly repeated (causes dimensional changes, splitting, eventual rot, etc). or was it just colour/tonal preservation you were after? I wouldn't use it in a stepping stone type situation ( japanese garden for example) as it gets really slippery quite quickly. Give us a bit more info' and we'll try to help.

best wishes, Tony

Yeah sort of an arty project Tony, it's a big log that I'm going to turn into a water feature with otters climbing over 'rocks' and water flowing over the rocks into a small pool at the bottom. The finish will be natural and I wanted to retain the same natural tone on the oak that's in contact with the water as the subjects that are not in contact with water will have. I've never used anything but oils or lasures on projects but I know they're unsuitable for this one. Thanks for taking the time.

Cheers, Chris

I agree with what has been said, oak (either green or seasoned) will last for centuries if kept permanently dry, or wet.

I recently refurbished some 300 year old lych gates, the only timbers that I had to replace were those in contact with the ground and the bottom rail where the vertical blind mortices had let in rain, in both cases they alternated betwen wet and dry.

When I dug to fit new oak posts about 6" underground I found the rotten remains of the original posts, by 12" they were in as new condition.

Tricky one that Chris! You know you need to protect the oak from UV rays to keep the natural tone, which for any other situation I'd say a good quality exterior varnish but as you're talking total immersion in parts I'm not sure it would work. Perhaps the piece thats in the pool can be forgotten about as it's likely to be hidden by the colour of the water in the pool? Just an idea.

Have you researched products from the boat building industry? I know there are some really good treatments for decks etc that aren't generally available to the public but with web-based sales you might get lucky in finding a supplier. This could work well for the visible elements of the piece.

Hi Chris, I think that Rustins Plastic Coating may do the job. If  you give their tech people a ring they would be able to tell you for sure. 0208.450.4666. Liberon also have a good tech department, don't know their number though.

If I have any dishes, goblets, etc. that are going to have to hold water that is what I use. Any oils would soon disapear.

Good luck..