Hot water heater problem

Marym2

Hi

I have fitted a hot water heater, and have found that it group de securtie (spelling) drips constantly. I have tried various ways (turning down the inlet pressure etc) but it still drips, have I fitted it incorrectly, or does this nornmaly happen?  I have also a small leak and I cannot turn off the water unless I drain down the system, I turned off the cold water feed but when I tried to let the water out of the ballon, nothing happened. Am I doing something different from draining down like in England ?  as I will be going back soon and would like to fix the problem. Thanks  I hope I have explained but more info if questions are asked.

[quote user="Marym2"]

I have fitted a hot water heater, and have found that it group de securtie (spelling) drips constantly. I have tried various ways (turning down the inlet pressure etc) but it still drips, have I fitted it incorrectly, or does this nornmaly happen?  I have also a small leak and I cannot turn off the water unless I drain down the system, I turned off the cold water feed but when I tried to let the water out of the ballon, nothing happened. Am I doing something different from draining down like in England ?  as I will be going back soon and would like to fix the problem. Thanks  I hope I have explained but more info if questions are asked.

[/quote]

The pressure release, usually red or yellow is quite sensitive a little tweak might close it properly, but in constant use dripping is not uncommon as it is releasing the pressure caused by expansion of the heated water.

Although the hot outlet is at the bottom of the tank, hot water comes from the top of the tank and requires cold water behind it to move, when you turn off the cold supply it stops. To drain the tank you can pull out the pressure release valve.

hope this helps

We had a drip from the groupe de securite.

My daughter forgot to turn the water off when she left at Easter. Whilst the house was empty water gushed from the groupe de securite - fortunately the chauffe d'eau is in an outbuilding so no harm done (apart from the water bill?). Our neighbour kindly turned the water off at the meter.

We called in a plumber - he changed the pressure reducing valve and the groupe de security (he didn't need to empty the chauffe d'eau). This did the trick - the water pressure in the house is slightly less now, but still OK.

Hope this helps.

As TJ says, drips are normal. If you have a PRV, set it to 2-3 bar, if you haven't got one, fit one.

The groupe de securité should have a "drain" position this should enable you to remove the water from the tank. But, as has been pointed out, the hot outlet comes from the top of the tank, so you should be able to isolate the water but just turning off the supply. Unless you have a leak on the cold feed, at the tank.

Hi

Yes I have fitted a PRV at the main feed. I also have a turn off point to the tank fron the cold feed. I have turned this off and have opened the hot water tap nearest the ballon. I did not get any water out after that, so is it ok to take out the faulty fitting and replace it or will I need to stilll drain down the ballon?

Thanks Tim, I have emailed you.

Marym