Roofing - lightweight tiles?

Keni

Having just come back from our summer holiday visit  to the renovation project, can anyone tell us about roofing - especially lightweight roofing tiles?

Our present roof is old and needs renewing. The joists appear to be what someone told us were artisan, or rough. They appear to be just rough hewn posts with another approx. 3 x 3 wooden frame on top and exteremely old beams as the main support. It looks a bit like fencing posts just laid down. The present tiles are large, maybe around 1 metre square and appear to be what is called 'Crysotile'. We know they contain asbestos.

We will need the whole of the roof down, but are not sure whether the old beams will take the weight of  new tiles, but, being opposite the chateau we are told that there is a driving force for the roof to become a proper tiled roof when it is replaced.

Our question is has anyone had this type of roof, do they know the pitfalls of removng the tiles and if in the Haute Vienne area can you reccomend a roofer?

Thanks, Keni & Chris.

If theese are somewhat makeshift roof trusses it would not be adviseable to attempt to reroof in tile to timber that will not adequately bare the weight or indeed added weight. If however you have a reason to want to keep theese particular timbers then you could use added support in the guise of stout purlins built into gable ends or on to timber hangers. Struts and collar ties can be incorporated into a roof  to add stength and stabillity though it entirely depends on the shape and make up of the roof when determening an adequate course of action. This said it may well be much better to cut a new roof which is not that difficult if there are no valleys or hip ends to work out.

Regarding the type of truss - I can see rough poles, as I call them with what appears to be another set of trusses on top, although that appears more modern. The original main beams are ok'ish one is split but help together with the largest set of bolts I have ever seen. The main problem is when it rains we have a leak on the top, the side bit is rotting and with the tiles being asbestos I thought their might be an alternative.

Keni