Converting a Barn

coulimer

We are hoping to convert our barn to living accomodation but I am getting very confused about what the building regulations are in France eg must comply with local regulations inone posting I looked no regulations in another is it possible to obtain a copy of the regulations. 

We are in a small village in Orne.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Yvonne

Coulimer 

Unless you live within site of the French Equivqlent of a Listed Building or in a number their equivalent of Conservation Areas. I suggest buying and reading :

"Construire ou Renover sa Maison" - Published by Editions Denoel - ISBN 2-207-2562-0. Available from the book section of the Hypermarkets.   In French but so full of illustrations it is almost a Cartoon Strip. Better than some dictionaries for find the right word.

I picked up "Le Grand Guide" 520 pages of Techniques,Produits Conceils pour construire renover et amenager from Leroy Merlin. Free and worth every cent. Answers loads of the questions which have been posed on this forum in recent months like depths and separation of pipes and colours for warning mesh.

Also free from any of the ‘Tout Faire Materiux Franchises “Guide des Materiaux”

The conversion will probably take you over the 170 square metre limit at which you need Architects Plans and full Permis de Construire. Also if you have the land I would at least evealuate a new build versus conversion.