pva

shimble

[quote user="shimble"]can i use pva with a chaux and sand mix, and can i use it to seal an interior surface that is starting to dry out and crumble?[/quote]

I don't see why not, although I wouldn't use too much (PVA). Alternatively, you could paint the existing wall with PVA, then patch with your lime mortar.

[quote user="Cassis"]Nick

I've got one wall in an outbuilding with the same problem.  Would pva be better than using a stabilising solution?
[/quote]

Most stabilising solutions are PVA based anyway are they not? I've "stabilised" an entire lime-rendered building with a 5:1 water:PVA mix - soooo much cheaper than stab. solutions.

PVA is a product that should never be used for any external applications, especially in the case of rendering. PVA when in contact with any moisture becomes live again...it never actually fully drys, it creates a barrier between mortars and substrate and if and when it becomes live through damp can lead to wholesale failing of renders, ceramic tiles, et al. For external purposes there is rendabond  and SBR. pva is perfect for many internal uses but it is not the answer to every problem as some perceive it to be.

[quote user="legs_akimbo"]PVA is a product that should never be used for any external applications, especially in the case of rendering. PVA when in contact with any moisture becomes live again...it never actually fully drys, it creates a barrier between mortars and substrate and if and when it becomes live through damp can lead to wholesale failing of renders, ceramic tiles, et al. For external purposes there is rendabond  and SBR. pva is perfect for many internal uses but it is not the answer to every problem as some perceive it to be.[/quote]

As El Chorizo says, quite so.

Where do you get Rendabond from? Can't find any external sealants here....

[quote user="Cassis"]'Allo Legs.  Nobody's using pva outside, I don't think.  We're all talking about interior walls.

PS  How do you get your feet onto your hips
[/quote]

"I would have to show you"Wink [;-)]

Nick I wouldnt know any place in France where rendabond could be bought sorry, I am not living in France and use this forum as an educational tool to read about the differing methods of construction as a means to preperation for a time when I will need it....well thats the plan anyhow!!!