Adding an extra power socket

I have an existing socket on one side of a 100mm or so thick lightweight block partition and need another socket on the other side of the wall (i.e. in another room) in around a similar position. In UK I wouldn't think twice about poking a 6 inch length of twin and earth through a 1/2 inch hole in the wall and fitting a spur socket.

In France, can I just drill a 12mm hole and use 3 lengths (20cm) of separate coloured wire to connect the spur? I might possibly fit them in gaine if there's enough room. 

[quote user="nicktrollope"]

They must be fitted in gaine, but you could use 3x1.5mm fils & 16mm gaine.

[/quote]

Good advice Nick about the gaine, but ..... It depends on the size of the wires in the existing socket. The extension wires to the new socket should be the same size as or equal to the original wiring. This would be fine of course if the existing socket wiring is 1.5mm already.

If the socket is wired in 2.5mm, you could either put a piece of 20mm gaine through the wall with 3 x 2.5mm wires or to save some space and drill a slightly smaller hole, you could put a piece of 3 core 2.5mm sheathed cable in 16mm gaine. It is a tight fit but for a section this short it will be ok.

Thanks for the ideas so far. When I get back I'll take a look at the existing wiring size and then match it - that bit shouln't be difficult. Does the gaine (trunking) need to be of specific type or will a bit of white plastic surface trunking do? I've got plenty of that.  If I have to I will, but I don't really want to be buying a minimum amount (guess a few metres?) when all I want is 15cm at the very most.

Another thought - I've got some off-cuts of black plastic sheathed cable for external wiring - subject to size, will that comply I wonder? I'm guessing that will still need to go in gaine. Right?

[quote user="Nearly Retired"]

Thanks for the ideas so far. When I get back I'll take a look at the existing wiring size and then match it - that bit shouln't be difficult. Does the gaine (trunking) need to be of specific type or will a bit of white plastic surface trunking do? I've got plenty of that.  If I have to I will, but I don't really want to be buying a minimum amount (guess a few metres?) when all I want is 15cm at the very most.

Another thought - I've got some off-cuts of black plastic sheathed cable for external wiring - subject to size, will that comply I wonder? I'm guessing that will still need to go in gaine. Right?

[/quote]

Should be proper gaine really. White plastic surface trunking is not suitable. It's a shame because I throw away loads of off-cuts on a weekly basis. Do you not know anyone who has a bit left over?

At the risk of offending everybody let us get real :

1. Are you going to be running  3 kilowatt electric fires off both sockets or things like two hairdryers which need a lot of power ?

2. Do you think your wiring is going to be so crappy and badly connected that it may set fire to the house ?

3. Is this a new instalation which will require certification by the CONSUEL ?

4. If you drill a 12 mm hole between the sockets do you think natural subsidence, your upstairs tenants doing the Italien Army Airforce Exercises or other forces of nature my cause the earth to move.

5. Do you need somebody to try and sue for advice which you have not paid for ?

If the answer to any of 1 to 5 is YES  do not do it. Otherwise drill the hole check the insulation does not chaffe.

[quote user="Punch"]

The extension wires to the new socket should be the same size as or equal to the original wiring.

[/quote]

Do you mean equal to or smaller than the existing wiring?  My manual says smaller.  I agree with Anton about the practical approach.

What I meant to say was that " The extension wires should be the same cross sectional area as the existing wires, or larger ". Definetely not smaller. What kind of manual have you got Cassis I'd love to read it !

As an example. If the existing feeds to the socket are 2.5mm and backed up by say a 20amp fuse of circuit breaker, and then the wires are extended with 1.5mm cable, in the event of an overload or a fault, the 1.5mm wires become the weakest link and could overheat and cause a fire. Unlikely I agree, but possible, but then again many electrical fires are caused by unlikely faults occuring!

It's strange that as a professional i've stated the correct proceedure regarding the regulations, (which after all are there to protect you from your own devices) and then a post appears that suggest to do things that don't comply. Basically what Anton suggests is a bodge. I've seen all sorts of bodges and what is more worrying is if you are not prepared to do an electrical job properly then why do it at all?  Perhaps I'm wrong and I've been kidding myself over the years, but any trademan worth his salt would say cutting corners like this is just the start of a slippery slope downhill.  

For god's sake man it's only a 20mm hole through a wall ! If it's a parpaing wall you can knock this through with a pointed chisel in a matter of minutes.

It's not really that interesting a read, Punch. [:)]

It's one of a series of guides published by Korrigan Press here in France.  What it says in the introduction to the section on adding extra sockets:

Les Dérivations

Chaque fois que c'est possible, effectuez un branchement en dérivation au moyen d'une boîte de dérivation, en veillant à bien respecter la continuité de couleur des conducteurs.  Ceux du nouveau circuit doivent avoir une section inférieure d'au moins un pas; par exemple : raccordez des fils de 1,5mm2 sur un circuit de 2,5mm2.

En aucun cas, la section des fils rajoutés ne doit être supériuere à ceux sur lesquels vous vous greffez.

The italics and colour are as per the original text for emphasis - not added by me. 

PS If this is a load of bollocks contrary to French regs then sue the publisher, not me!

[quote user="Cassis"]It's not really that interesting a read, Punch. [:)]

It's one of a series of guides published by Korrigan Press here in France.  What it says in the introduction to the section on adding extra sockets:

Les Dérivations

Chaque fois que c'est possible, effectuez un branchement en dérivation au moyen d'une boîte de dérivation, en veillant à bien respecter la continuité de couleur des conducteurs.  Ceux du nouveau circuit doivent avoir une section inférieure d'au moins un pas; par exemple : raccordez des fils de 1,5mm2 sur un circuit de 2,5mm2.

En aucun cas, la section des fils rajoutés ne doit être supériuere à ceux sur lesquels vous vous greffez.

The italics and colour are as per the original text for emphasis - not added by me. 

PS If this is a load of bollocks contrary to French regs then sue the publisher, not me!

[/quote]

LOL  nice answer Cassis - If I didn't have to get the kids breakfast, light the fires, load the van, stack the log delivery etc etc, I would try to find the actual regulation that contradicts that - but hey I have another life too!