UPVC windows

maxsan

We have just had new upvc windows fitted, by a national French company. The quotation shows that the windows we pay for are of the size of the opening and yet, the windows fitted are not. The fitters have taken the old wooden frames out but left 40 to 50 mm of the old frames and pinned the new windows to that.
Is this normal in France or have we been ripped off? In the sous-sol, the fitters have put the windows direct to the wall. Our worry is that the wooden frames may rot and cause problems further down the line. Our suspicion is that they have turned up with the wrong or a stock size and adapted the frames to suit. I have to also say that the outside is covered by upvc profiles so that it is unlikely that water may get in.

When ours were done, by a local menuiserie, ALL traces of the old window were removed.

The windows were fastened to the walls and above and below, by sort of wavy "L" shaped brackets.

Then the spaces were infilled with expanding foam. Once that went off, I cut it back and replastered on the inside, recemented on the outside.

HTH

I agree, when I noticed what was happening, I asked the fitter to stop and explained what my worries were. He said that they always do this on renovations. I took him at his word and let them get on with it as they had already taken the old windows out. The salesman will be round tomorrow morning with the bill, even though they brought the wrong size roller blind for the door and only half the mosquito nets that were ordered.  Fortunately, we only paid a 25% deposit and will not be paying any more until the problem is sorted out. I will keep you informed.

Looks like you have ordered "renovation" rather than "new".

With renovation your existing frames remain and the new frame is screwed on top resulting in a reduction in the size of the glazed area.

With a new installation the old frames are completely removed and the new frame is fitted against the masonary, which is the finish that we are used to in the UK.

Sounds like you did not understand what you signed up for.

Hi Maxsan,

Have you got shutters attached to the window frame because that will make a difference about what they remove. On our house, window frames with shutters attached to the old frame were left in situ and only window frames with no shutters were totally removed. I hope this helps, any questions please e-mail me.

regards

dc