One of our firplaces has the chimney blocked off to the room and the

central heating flue runs up the chimney from the cellar below up

through  the chimney.

What we would like to do is put in a small wood burning stove and I'm

wondering if the flue from the stove would be too hot to share the

chimney with the central heating flue? Would we be able to either

insulate the CH flue or would be have to replace it with a more heat

resistant flue?

Also anyone know of a make of small woodburning stove ( with a glass door) with a small oven attatched?

thanks

Firstly I'm not an expert. However, my central heating boiler flue is currently being replaced (old one does not conform to "norms"). The one being installed is not a continuous tube (as was used on my woodburner) but rigid and in 1m sections. Each section is already insulated. It has a stainless inner "tube", then an unknown amount of insulation (must be an inch or two), then a galvanised outer section. Each section clips to the next to form the tube. It must be more expensive than the standard tube stuff but it was what the plumber said he wanted to fit and he has a good reputation and I'm paranoid about flues and fumes.

The CH is gas, but somebody come the other day to look at converting the boiler to oil (which apparently burns hotter and has more stringent requirements on the flue material) and they said the new flue would be OK for oil.

I'm sure there are people around who know the actual answer, but I thought my experience might help.

Ian

Firstly, I'm not an expert, and I would say you need to seek professional advise.  However, I believe the regulations do not allow you to share flues between boilers etc. I think you need to create a separate chimney stack for each appliance.  The rules for flues/chimneys are very tight and any new install must comply with the latest regs.