Semi pedestal basins & order of work

Russethouse

I just wondered if someone would give me some general advice (this is for our UK home) We are completely redoing our bathroom, new sealed water tank, water softener, new suite, shower, floor etc.

The actual bathroom is very small and in an attempt to make it look spacier we have found a freestanding bath and would like a wall hung, semi pedestal basin, however I see they have fixing kits, like a metal work grid they attach to. Are they bulky ? Has anyone fitted one - any words of warning ?

Also we will need to floor right under the bath, I have (so far) chosen rubber flooring which comes in sheet or tiles, but at what stage do we do the flooring - do we have to try to arrange it between getting the plumbing in place and bath installation ?

hi

semi pedestals vary some have metal grids like you describe others just require the basin to be mounted and the pedestal hangs off it on a wire hook arrangement ....not too secure in my opinion......however both require plumbing and tiling to be completed before fixing to wall. Regarding the bath ....you need to have rough plumbing installed ....then fit flooring ....and finally ...site bath and plumb in .... hope this helps

sheldon

Hi Russethouse

the wall mounted semi pedistal basin bracket should fit inside the pedistal and not show so cant be a problem the size is dependent on  the basin size, if it's a semi countertop then the unit is around 300mm deep x 5 or 600mm wide dependent on the unit it fits into.

Dave  [:)]

Hi Russethouse

General order of play

Carcasse pipework

lay flooring

Install freestanding bath

seal all joints where pipework penetrates flooring

Wall hung basins with pipework from behind or chased in carcasse pipework to measured centres, if a studa wall there is the opportunity to strip plasterbaoard, noggint the insides of studs with say 50mm by 50mm soft wood securely screwed about 18mm back from lading edge of stud, cut an 18mm panel out of plywood to fit in front of noggins (Drilled to allow pipework through at corect centres) then reboard this way you will have a secure and tidy mounting and concealed pipework.

If a masonry wall you can use chemfix achors to good effect.

Regards,

TM