Decorator in 82

Catusse-Haut

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Just spotted this - yes I can recommend a decorator based in St Sardos - just the other side of Montauban from you. PM me if you would like full details. She is excellent - particularly with wallpapering.

Regards

Roger

I hope you remember to employ someone who is legally registered as "peindre en batiment" and not a person who does property maintenance, which is not the same thing at all. It is illegal to wallpaper a room without a metier.

Sorry, I feel a short time on the old soapbox coming on!!!!

Aly

Sorry to be flippant - but I can't imagine anyone gives 10 year guarantees on wallpapering (not by the state of some of it I've seen round here) and as my 81 year old dad is a great wallpaperer despite never having been to college don't reckon it is too difficult.  While I applaud everyone's desire to be legal - I wonder how most people paid their window cleaners/cleaning ladies/dog walkers/gardeners in UK.  Wasn't in the dreaded CASH was it.

By all means only recommend legal people, but surely it is up to each person and their own conscience who they employ - particularly as if they ask their French neighbour for a recommendation as opposed to this forum they will almost certainly get someone working cheque emploi service at best and on the black at worst.

We do our own wallpapering (and have also not been to college) and I'm not recommending people working on the black but I do find it a bit astounding that everyone on this forum gets so worked up about formalities that most of my French friends and neighbours couldn't care less about.  they too would (mostly) employ someone legal to wire their house or fix their roof but ask locally who to get to do your decorating and most people will recommend a certain off-duty gendarme!

Cerise I completely agree.

Charlotte.

I wish that I had known before now that it is illegal to wallpaper a room without a metier.

Unfortunately I have already done several rooms in my house and even my friends lounge, she is French, she ought to have known, I am really angry with her now. I don't like the thought of having to look over my shoulder from now on.

Come to think of it I have continued to service my own car like I did in the UK and in plain view of the street, I fear that it is only a question of time before they catch up with me[:D]

Cerise,

I never mentioned 10 year guarantees - that has nothing to do with decorating being a metier. By all means pay cash for services which are not a metier ie cleaning, gardening etc. The chequed'emploi scheme is for non metiered occupations so can't be legally used for decorating.

Nobody says you must have your diploma to hang wallpaper in your own home, but to do it professionally, ie for payment, you must have the appropriate qualification....it's the law.

Why do I get so worked up about this? Simply because I was told by the authorities that I couldn't work in France as a self employed decorator, in spite of many years experience simply because I didn't have the appropriate piece of paper. Eventually I persuaded my now patron to let me do a stage for a week. This was unpaid work and at the end of the week he would have the choice whether I to employ me or not. I nearly killed myself that week to prove not only that I could do the work, but also that I knew how to use the various machines which are heavy and awkward if you are a woman. Needless to say I got the job, but I have had to fight every day since to prove to the men that I can do everything they can do. (You try to build scaffolding 3 storeys high when you are nearly fifty and female!!) Incidentally there is a great deal more to decorating than hanging a bit of wallpaper! (But then, if you aren't  qualified you won't know that).

All my colleagues will do work at the weekends etc for cash, but they declare it as other income on their tax returns, it's common practice within our trade but not illegal and not on the black.

It is quite possible that the gendarme in question did his apprenticeship before joining the force, so there fore he is legally entitled to decorate professionally.

Aly

Aly - it wasn't meant personally and I know what you mean as my husband had exactly the same problems as you - could do things but no piece of paper.  Incidentally if you want to set up wallpapering etc, believe it or not you can if you call yourself an interior designer rather than a decorator!!  You don't need qualifications for that??!    Chapeau to you for getting the job - exactly what other half has done too.

No, my comments were really because although I know it is the law, and actually I do try to employ registered folk myself, the reality is that it often doesn't happen and I for one genuinely believe that you can do good wallpapering without being a fully fledged decorator.  I certainly wouldn't risk employing someone uninsured to do something as dangerous as putting scaffolding up the outside of my four storey house, and a lot depends on what people want done. 

You are quite right about what people can do well without formal qualifications, my point was that you can't legally do it for money.

I know all about the loopholes used by many foreigners (having researched this myself while searching for work!) but an interior designer is NOT a decorator and is still liable to prosecution if caught decorating professionally, as is the person employing them. I did think about it but felt that it wasn't for me. I'm not a good liar and would hate to be constantly looking over my shoulder!

I know some Brits who have taken this route and they constantly worry in case they are reported. For me it's illegal, immoral and just not decent to flout the rules like this. 

My fellow colleagues in work can't understand the attitude of the Brits locally who refuse to obey the rules on this. They can't understand why they don't learn the language and do the jobs they are qualified to do, the same as the French. 

Well done to your OH, I hope he enjoys the challenge as much as I do!

Aly