Laying water connection in concrete or screed

londoneye

Hi

We have had a new water connection for our barn which we are renovating, which needs then to go through the barn to the next building along.  We are using the standard plastic piping which has been recommended for connection from the mains.    OH would like to know if there is any issue with running the pipe across the floor and concreting on top, or whether it would be best to put in the screed.    There will no joining connections in the parts of the pipe which are under the concrete, only under the basins etc, where he intends to build some kind of mini inspection hatch (thingie !).   

If anyone can assist with this question I would be grateful.

yes i wondered if it would freeze in concrete? or whether there would be sufficient insulating properties to stop it freezing (not that I know if concrete has any insulating properties).   Ie, is the idea of feeding the pipe through gaine to act as insulation, or is it to assist with removing pipe if there were a leak ??

I was going to post that to comply with the normes it should be buried much deeper but thought from your post that it was an internal run through buildings.

If it is going externally it should be 80cm deep to avoid frost, if the building is an open barn or uninsulated, unheated etc you will have to decide what will be a safe depth.

If you do run the pipe at a shallow depth then please pass it through a gain as it will be at risk from accidental damage.

thank you JR - the external part of the pipe is buried at the depth of around 80 cm as you say.   In my post I was referring to an internal run through buildings, but the barn is relatively uninsulated (ie has - or will have by this coming winter - roof insulation, but that is about all).

I will advise OH of your response, many thanks again.