Hiding electrics in a barn conversion.

Ford Anglia

Ok, here's the scenario: I've done most of the downstairs electrics in the barn conversion part of our property. It's in the Limousin, and consists of a house with two barns attached in an "L" shape. We are extending out into the corner of the "L".

The downstairs is a dining room, buanderie, boiler house, downstairs loo and shower room. Most of the electrics are in rigid conduit, those for the shower room running on the other side of the walls to keep it looking neat.

We now have a floor for the upstairs. I've got provision for running cable up from the distribution board, (4 25 sq mm flexible conduits around and behind a beam that runs parallel to the wall, and rigid conduit above, and below that level, into two large-ish junction boxes which will end up on the wall of the ensuite facilities, so the boxes are IP55 rated.)

The upstairs will be two more bedrooms, one with ensuite, and a family bathroom.

Division between rooms will be plasterboard on a metal (we think) frame, but one of my youngest's mates is a plasterer and will see to that for a free holiday).

OK, finally, the question: Should I hide all the wiring as far as possible? In which case, do I use the sockets, switches etc with their own backboxes? I've started with Legrand stuff, so would want to continue with that.

Lastly, what sort of conduit is INSIDE plasterboard walls? Is it the flexible stuff? And do all junction boxes etc still need to be accessible? How do folk make THAT work when the wiring is inside the walls?

Thanks for any help.

Most of our additional wiring is hidden but we have an awful lot of square access plates at junctions, sorry I can't give you any more technical advice. In the openstonework we had bendy conduit which was then pointed in and you really would not know it was there, but it did cost us a lot more to have that section of wall done like that but it was worth it.

Normal conduit can be installed behind plasterboard. Just be aware where they are when installing the plasterboard and metal frames etc not to damage the conduits or more importantly the cables within

We have a similar situation and I have put the JB's inside a cupboard where you can access them. As far as I am aware french regs require all JB's to be accessible. Best advice is forget the '3 plate' wiring system that is used in the UK whereby a live and neutral is taken to every lighting point. Instead use the JB to make all your connections for differing switching configurations and just run  live light feed, neutral return, and earth wire to each light. JB's may have to be bigger than normal but at least you can hide them.

My understanding is if you already have a supply to the house the EDF/inspection consuel (not sure of the correct name) will not really bother too much with an inspection. If you do not have a supply at your barn and require a new suply then they will carry out ful inspection to the french norms.

Hope this helps.

John

Good grief, I never knew spaghetti came in those colours.[:D]

Seriously, I see what you mean re large jb's.

I suppose I could always set the jb's on the surface, out of the way, use white ones, (not easy to get), and run cables into, and out of them via the rear blind holes?

FYI

I have 12 seperately switched lighting circuits through the top JB. A bit over the top but thought being an electrician in a former life should try and make the best of it.

4 power socket outlet circuits on the bottom JB.

Those JB's pictured will be seen however the room has no thoroughfare so therefore the 'general' public so to speak will not see the JB's

Have a look at the way to disguise the JB's if you are going to surface mount them. Dummy cabinet etc.

remember where there's a will

Bonne chance

John