Gas pipe connecting new hob.

Matelot

Hi there,

(Blimey - I've had my moneys worth on this Forum in the last few days!)

I have recently had a new kitchen fitted in my French cottage. As well as new cupboards, units, etc, I had a new built in electric oven installed and a combination gas/electric hob set in to the worktop above. Gas is supplied by bottled gas in a cupboard next to the cooker.

When I went to our local Catena DIY store to buy a connection pipe for the hob, I told the salesperson (who was not some spotty youth) exactly what I was looking for and what it was going to connect. He handed me a packet containing a reinforced rubber tube, pointing out the date markings, which meant that I should change the tube by that date.

I took the pipe home and that afternoon a local supplier delivered the oven and hob. Together, he and the plumber installed both and connected everything up.  “Job’s a Good’Un” - we celebrated the completion of the kitchen with a glass of rosé all round.

It was only upon my return to the UK, that I read somewhere in this forum that the pipe connecting the bottle to the hob, should be of the metal flexible variety. I am surprised, because neither the appliance supplier (a well-recommended local guy) nor the plumber/heating engineer mentioned anything at the time. Also, the gas cooker I replaced also had a date stamped rubber pipe connecting the burners to the gas bottle.

Can someone enlighten me please as to the why’s & wherefores of this, as I do not relish the hassle of dragging out the oven unit and changing the pipe, regardless of the expense.

Over to the experts!

Many thanks!

The law is very strict on this whereby if you have an enclosed electric oven with a bottled gas hob above. You MUST have the connection to the bottle in flexible armoured tubin and not the ordinary rubber replaceable every four year type.Any plumber/electrical installer worth his salt will tell you this and it is for your utmost safety.