Do I need a Declaration de Traveaux?

IanB

Based on previous postings, I think the answer to my question is "No", but I'd appreciate some confirmation.

We have bought/are buying a house in Indre. Two thirds of the ground floor is currently a house (with a big grenier above), the remaining one third is a garage and stable (also with lofts above). The living accomodation has three empty rooms, a primitive kitchen and a WC apartment. There are water and electricity supplies to the building (don't know if they're still connected, mind) but no internal plumbing or wiring worth speaking of.

I want to renovate the living quarters so we can move in - turn the current kitchen into a utility room with shower, create a new kitchen in one of the rooms, renew the WC and add a WHB, and rewire. Later phases will involve converting the grenier, then the garage and stables.

If I was doing this first phase in Scotland, I know I'd need a building warrant, covering eg drainage, ventilation, probably the wiring etc. But, I don't think I need any permission in France, as I'm keeping within my own building and not making any significant changes. Have I understood the situation correctly?

Thanks

Any change of use into habitation requires permission in France IF IT WAS PREVIOUSLY NEVER USED AS HABITATION.. If it is a large building or an outbuilding or garage then a full permis de construire will be required so that your taxe d'habitation can be adjusted accordingly when it is finished. On the first phase, no permission needed except if you change the windows for doors etc or make extra openings in walls and roof. If you wish to replace windows, check first that you are not restricted by les monuments historiques or national parc rules.