wiring queston

Nick M

We are just starting work on our house in Limoux and are about to start the wiring, on lighting circuits can you have the joint for the switch drop in the ceiling point as in the UK, or do you have to have a seperate joint box? On power circuits can you link from one socket to another (up to a max of 8, I think) or again do you have to use separate joint boxes ? 

Thank you for your advice,

Nick.

For new installations to pass consuel inspection the lights must be connected by DCL connectors and not by what would be called a ceiling rose in the UK scheme of things. DCL connectors are little 3 pin plugs that connect the lumiere to the wall/ceiling outlet. The socket part of the DCL is equipped for the power to be fed on to the next in the chain (max of 8). The DCL wall/ceiling socket box acts as a boite de derivation. What is not permitted is for the feed for the next in the chain to be taken from the light fitting itself, however I do not think that this allows the switch circuit to be dropped off the DCL as in the UK 'loop in loop out' system. I think that you can use the DCL to daisy chain lights fed from the same switch but that you have to use a separate boite de derivation to drop the switch circuit.

[quote user="Nick M"]

We are just starting work on our house in Limoux and are about to start the wiring, on lighting circuits can you have the joint for the switch drop in the ceiling point as in the UK, or do you have to have a seperate joint box? On power circuits can you link from one socket to another (up to a max of 8, I think) or again do you have to use separate joint boxes ? 

Thank you for your advice,

Nick.

[/quote]

If it is a "1-way" switch, feed the power (from an accessible JB if necessary) to the switch, thence to the DCL(s) in the ceiling/wall. If 2 (or more) way, then feed the switches, power and DCL(s) to a box. I would use a single big boite de derivation for 1 floor of lighting, feeding a maximum of 5 (although you are allowed 8) circuits, fed from a 16A DD.

Thanks for your help on the lighting ( do most lighting circuits have one large boite de derivation to feed a number of rooms, or one for each room). Also Does the same apply for socket outlets, I wanted to keep them on there own radial circuit and  loop from one socket to another can i do this or do i have to use aboite de derivation and come off this for each socket.

Thanks again

Nick

[quote user="Nick Trollope"]

Lighting - I do, although it does depend on the layout of the property.

Sockets - either will do, but a maximum of 5 sockets (singles or doubles) on a 20A DD.

Remember that all junction boxes must be accessible (not buried under floors etc)

[/quote]

Nick, I am sure that Norme NF C 15-100 allows 8 x sockets (can be doubles), the 5 limit is from Promotelec. Assuming 2.5 mm sqr wiring and a 20A breaker.

Steve you are correct - maximum number is eight doubles using 2.5mm on a 20 Amp breaker or fuse.  If you are going for the Label Promotelec, then they recommend 5 maximum , but the Regs allow eight.

Now Mr Trollope, this isn't the first time you have had to be corrected (once by me and now by Steve) on this forum about this amount of sockets ! Please if you are going to post electrical answers, make sure you are sure of the regulations!

Seriously though I've been working as a Sparks here in France for nearly 17 years ( 10 years as a resident) so maybe Nick was referring to the new type of circuit which is now allowed for wiring socket outlets,  which allows  a maximum of 5 double sockets using 1.5mm wire but protected by a maximum 16 Amp circuit breaker only with no option of a fuse allowed for this circuit.

Paul.

[quote user="Nick Trollope"]

Hah!

I was using the Promotelec figures, (5 on a 20A DD), which is what I work to. Yep, one is allowed 8 by the normes (or 5 on 1,5mm cable, etc). So I wasn't wrong, just careful....

BTW, that spray-foam idea is mine.... I thought of it first.

[/quote]

What spray foam idea?

My foam gun has over the years replaced nearly all my other tools and fixings, my French friends call this aspect of my work "bricolash" but I am always interested in new ways to use up the foam before it gets too old.