Connection to mains drainage

Scalehill

Firstly check with the mairie to see if the mains have already been put in and where they come to as regards your property. Don't assume that being close to a village or town you will automatically be included, budgets only allow for a certain amount of work to be carried out in one financial year (I've just spent three hours with the commune accounts before they go to the tax people and its horrendous reading for the costs of work carried out recently) Normally the contractors will only come to the edge of the property with the pipework and manhole and you, the owner are then responsible for the last connection to your property regardless of the distance. Do not expect the local mairie to help with finance, they don't have the budget and if it is a holiday home, then no way I am afraid will you get help. If you come up blank with the mairie or cannot understand, try the local water company who have all the details and must be informed once you have connected your last part so they can then charge you more for the disposal.

• 4 years later...

How did you manage to get connected to the mains drains in the end? I have the same problem. I have got permission from the Mairie and the road authorities to connect BUT who does the work and how much does it cost. We live in the centre of the village and the main drains are on the opposite side of the road (of course!!!).  Your help would be appreciated.

Planet

You will need to contact your local water company and ask for a quote from them to do the connection from the mains to the edge of your property, they are I believe, the only people allowed to do this, you can get someone else to do the rest of the work to connect up to it.

You may be able to fill out a form online to obtain a devis, check out the web site of your water company. It cost me approx. €1300