PROPERTY MARKET

I am finding that  there does not seem to be new irrivals on the scene when it comes to property.The same houses are on with several agents.This is the time of the year for house hunting.Is it....a buyers market ?

Yes - in general.

But France is a big country and there are always exceptions to every rule. There is a shortage of sensibly-priced houses in certain price ranges which still sell quickly before they appear in advertising and a glut of optimistically priced property that has hung around for ages. If you want a true picture then make appointments with agents and notaires in the area in which you are interested in buying. Talk to the real experts.

Just a question. I have a house in lower normandy which is slap bang in the middle of the village square. Brand new roof with a dormer and 8 veluxes, but a fair amount of work needs doing. Small patio area, 6 bedrooms and a quarter of an acre field round the corner. Does this type of property sell easily? Lovely house if you like being in a village and not have a garden to bother with.

Speaking from Lower Normandy I am afraid the answer is probably no. The remote field is a turn-off, particularly for holiday home use, which the house might otherwise be well suited to. Probably too many bedrooms for most buyers, particularly if they are small. There is less demand for village property than rural or seaside. There are also large numbers of incomplete renovation projects on the market. But you must have liked it in the first place, and if the price is right (probably under 100,000 € in this area, though you will need a proper valuation, and it depends very much on the degree of  'habitability') it will stand a chance.