oiling beams

Artois

Hi

We use a 50/50 mixture of linseed oil & turpentine, available at most brico stores or even supermarkets. Paint it onto the beams. The mixture will probably soak in really quickly on old wood & you can repeat any time you like. We use this "wood food" for quite a lot of applications, restoring & new furniture & any wood we just want to revive. It darkens some woods more than others - a bit of trial & error really. 

Good luck

Postie    

I've had great success "waxing" them with cabinet maker's wax available in many tints.. "Cire a l'ancienne" (SYNTILOR) is one I've used.. (comes in 500ml tins around 9 euros each. ) A whole barn took maybe 20 tins.. One 'coat' only needed..

Try using a pant brush to aply it... Best done in warm weather / surroundings as is is soft to brush in..

Could I ask how the finished results differ comparing oiled to waxed oak beams?

We have orange/brown varnished oak beams and I'd love to sand blast them and then either wax or oill them ( I'd never heard of oiling them until I'd read this thread!)

Anyone got any photos to be able to compare??

Anyone advise one more than the other???

( sorry- don't mean to redirect the OP's question!)

Sorry... no photos.. But the waxed ones have a permanent / 'furniture' type feel, though nothing too clever. It was recommended to me and I have no regrets.

I'd suggest cleaning the beams ( I power hosed them - they were covered in lime & dirt ) and do a couple of sample / swatches before proceeding   ;o)

Hi nicos, we also had those bright orange varnished beams. I think my OH lightly sanded and stained them. Will get more details off him when he gets back from the builders yard. Ours were 10 inches deep but we insulated and plasterboarded them to make them shorter. If you go to house renovations then "boarding an uneven ceiling, page 8 i think, we have a photo on there. Hope this helps.

Its on "how to get a level ceiling on uneven joists"