Taxe Fonciere and Taxe d'Habitation

We completed on our new-build house in November 2006, further work was done to make it habitable in January 2007.

I have not received any further information regarding local taxes (we are in the Var - 83).

I believe that for 2 years Taxe Fonciere is not applicable, but we need to pay Taxe d'Habitation (although it is a maison secondaire).

Do we need to register for any of this tax or will the local authorities be notified by the Notaire?  I don't want to be breaking any rules and am happy to pay - I just do not know when and how!

Tks  

Hi Simon,

We too are in Var and bought our French Dream in November 2005.  The Notaire advised us that we would have to pay the vendor the part of the taxes already paid by her (i.e. up to end of December) but the vendor declined.

Since then (June 2006) I have been (accompanied with a French friend) to the "tax office" who asked our name - looked on the computer and said "Non".  No explanation - just "you are not on the computer". 

On speaking to French friends they say "Do not worry - they will bill you eventually".  However, as this is now the second year of ownership - how long do they wait??

I'm like you Simon - happy to pay - if only I knew how.