Painting PVC

cartref

If they are new, forget it. They are covered in 'release agent' that is very difficult to remove. If they are weathered then paints are available.

You have two options;

Paint with 'plastic garden furniture paint' available from good hardware shops (the cheap option) or,

Spray paint with professional plastic etch-primer and finish with a good quality topcoat containing 5 to 10% plasticiser.

As with all painting preparation is all important.

Gary.

I'm just about to order new PVC shutters and was wondering whether to go for a colour, such as blue, as they do not cost any more.  White shutters look so bland.  Would you eventually get tired of a colour?  It's a bit depressing that you can't really re-paint them successfully.

I wouldnt want to do this without someone professional doing it.

How many cars have you seen with plastic bumpers and flakey paint!!!! Well, I can only imagine the shutters ending up like that too if it isnt done absolutely perfectly in the preparation......

I have clad my first flat, which is an outbuilding behind the main property and hence not on view, with UPVC as it was given to me.It is not to my taste and I am also going to change the colour. It was not new but most of it but still in the wrapping so any mould release would have still been present.

In the early summer I did a test piece with the paint I propose to use - bricodepot Glyceraptha doo doo ron ron.......... or whatever it was called, basically a gloss resembling the enamel paints that I used to use on plastics.

It has stood outside all of what we had to accept as summer and to date this winter, it has blown off its hook several times and scooted around the paving, to date the paint is still firmly attached and more important to me not discoloured.

I dont dispute the very good advice re plastic primers and plasticisers as I have sprayed many cars with plastic bumpers before, however I believe in giving things a go so will be painting my UPVC this spring, I accept that I will have to repaint from time to time but I will have the colour that I want.

I had some plastic garden chairs that had started to degrade and go powdery on the sun exposed surfaces, I wanted to use them just one more time for a fete before buying new so I resprayed them with some old cellulose paint, massively thinned as I didnt really have enough, 5 years later they still look like new so maybe it is worth giving it a go contrary to best advice?

I think the cost of 'having a go' versus replacement costs and the looks of the things are inportant. If they are not to be seen as a major focal point then a little scuffing or flaking may not deter from the overal look anyway.

As long as you are prepared for a possible failure at some point then you wont be disappointed.

Major things though is to thoroughly prepare to allow the best results to show through and hopefully last.

Let us know what you decide, most interesting.

I agree Ford Anglia.

However if you have inherited it or not paid for it like me and dont like the colour........

The thing that I find really ODD is painting over ceramic kitchen wall tiles, it may look good on TV makeovers but really seems to defeat the purpose of having tiles in the first place.

Most people would not accept painted plaster (or plasterboard) as a splashback behind a kitchen or bathrom worktop so why paint tiles?

Actually I answered that question in my first line[:)]

à chacun son gout!