PVC(Marley type) floor tiles

Jazzer

In our gite we have PVC floor tiles which are showing wear. I would like to retile with  standard floor tiling.I assume it's preferable top remove the tiles Anybody any advice on how to remove? I suppose they could be left, but would they cause any dampness?

Many thanks for any help

I used to lay thousands of the the old type for Marley Tiles,. One of the reasons builders used to have them was as an extra damp-proofing. The floor was spread with a bitumin based adhesive,very messy to use,left to be touch dry, then we used to warm the tiles up in a portable hot oven and lay while still warm. If you overheated them the tile would shrink and the tile joints would open up. When cold they were impossible to cut and would crack like glass.If you have these ,and none are loose, you can screed over them. If you decide to lift them you will have to latex screed the floor to get anything to stick or lay on the old adhesive. Same if you have the thin vinyl tiles,the adhesives are a real pain to get rid of or work on.If you have a wood sub-floor,you can fix treated hardboard or marine ply,fixing at 100mm centres to avoid any bubbles.

Regards.

couple of things to consider. some old type tiles contained bonded asbestos. you can use a floor lifter which will make short work of them however if the intention is to retile I would simply remove the loose material then use a lightweight laytex screed prior to retiling.

You can tile over them providing they are soundly fixed. Clean the floor with sugar soap and use a polymer modified adhesive. Remove any unsound ones and skim the void with rapid setting cement or tile adhesive.

Or scrape off the loose, laytex screed then lay new. Pretty much standard practice in shops, hospitals and schools.