planning ground floor bathroom

Gyn_Paul

I'm laying out a bathroom at one end of a small barn. I am currently looking at a cleared and cleaned space with damp stone walls, and an earth floor. The soil pipe will ultimately run the full length of the room to exit through the wall and join up with the other pipes going to the new fosse.

Given that the walls will be railed and plasterboarded, and I have yet to buy the loo, bath, shower or washbasin, what is the best way to lay out the waste and soil pipes prior to pouring the concrete, so that connecting the various things up is less than a complete nightmare?

I am anxious to avoid the problem we inherited in another house where we arrived one holiday during the construction, delighted to see the finished, tiled bathroom floor with all the services sticking up through the floor, but found to our dismay that if we plonked the loo onto the soil pipe as sited, one would have had to sit with one's feet in the shower while using it!

If I sit and scratch my head a bit I suppose I can calculate where a 90-degree bend on the back of a loo will finish up, but I confess I'm rather at a loss as to how one connects a bath - or worse - a corner shower to a stump of pipe sticking out of the floor.

p

Could you not route the pipes ABOVE the floor once it's poured? They could then be boxed in, or put behind false walls. Both better than concreting them in and not being able to get at them in the event of an emergency...........

My shower came with a flexible hose made from what appears to be thick polythene type stuff, and connects to the 40mm waste using this and a stainless "Jubilee" type clip. If you had the same, it wouldn't matter WHERE the shower waste was, so long as you could get to it to start with, or it was under the shower tray, SOMEWHERE!

However............be warned. My downstairs loo connects to a stub of pipe coming out of the floor, and necessitated us buying a "straight down exit" type pan.

And the shower........my goodness, fitting THAT singlehanded was a day's job! I had to prop the tray onto breezeblocks to be able to lie prone to get at, and tighten the waste connection.

FA

I had the same soucis due to lack of experience, what I found was apart from the WC which needed to be planned with some accuracy all the others were 40mm pipes which could be angled to wherever needed.

What I did was to run the evacuation under the slab with 100mm stubs sticking up in roughly what I thought would be the desired positions, after pouring the slab and tiling I cut them flush and finished them with 100:40mm adaptors and then piped the sink and shower drains to them.

I also found that by using a WC suspendu I had more flexibility in realigning the soil pipe and the resultant malalignment was hidden from view, if you dont use this type your WC will have to sit exactly above the stub or some way to one side with the soilpipe boxed in.

You could route soil through wall after slab is in

You could bring soil up under where slope of bath will be then make connection and box in (Not sure if Normes require a Durgo type air admittance valve)

If you fancy being flash and space not a problem how about setting the bog at a 45 degree andgle to the room with a false wall behind and soil riser within? creates a nice shelf for plants etc and easily removable as a rodding access very flexible re alignment as you can make up the connections then tile.

Service valves etc can also be in the boxing

[8-|] The first thing to do is acquaint yourself with the waste pipes and connectors at your local diy store, look at the suite of sanitary ware you have in mind, and do a rough layout to ensure it might work. At this point I bought the items, laid them out on the floor and marked it up with a marker pen, then removed the suite and laid out the pipes and connectors; we sunk the pipes in the allowance for the screed around the outside edge of the room with just the outlets for the sink, shower, bath and toilet above this (the main outlet for the loo was already in position), splated blobs of screed to hold pipes in position and then retried the suite items in position, allowing for the depth of the tiles and distance from the walls etc. no adjustments were necessary and the screed was laid and tiled.
No risk of discovering the items we needed were no longer available. 
A lot of fitting and removal but it all worked in the end with the real items.

The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience…[geek]

John and Sue

Yes I too did that but it was not really possible to do it properly and mark it out on the terre battu before pouring the slab[:)] luckily I marked out the wall and all the sanitary positions in another larger unfinished room with a decent floor.

Big Mac

I used a loo just as you describe, it certainly looked cool but when I sat on it the OCD in me made me twist my butt cheeks 45 degrees which was not vey comfortable, several others remarked that the seat was uncomfortable without really knowing why!