Architect's stage payments

Robina

Hi,

We are about to engage an architect to plan and supervise some work on our fermette and have received a letter from her outlining her terms and timescales.  The charges will be 10 per cent of the cost of the work before VAT which I understand is the norm.  I think I have a rough understanding of what is involved in the different stages at which we have to pay but would appreciate any insights.   The stages are:

Esquisse - which translates as 'outline' - what is in this?

Avant Projet - ?

Projet - ?

Assistance marchés de travaux (obtaining the devis and getting them signed)

Suivi des travaux - supervision for duration of work?

Réception des travaux - sign off?

The estimated cost of the work is a lot higher than we had hoped.  Is it the norm for an architect to give an estimate on the high side?  And if we can reduce it does this translate into a lower fee for the architect?  What happens if after signing up with the Architect (but before signing any devis with the builder) we decide to delay the work to wait for a better exchange rate?  Thanks.

Robina

We are having the same problem, although we now have the permis de construire.  She has just sent us the devis to change the attached hanger(barn) on the side of our house into a 2 bed house.  We are still getting over the shock at the price.  It is rather higher than we expected.

So - we are going to get an extimate independantly.  Anyone know of a good reliable builder in 36??

JeanS