Architect needed for renovation?

Beemer1150

We are considering a major renovation project - yes, we are mad and we do know about most of the problems (there will be other unforseen ones we know!)

We had thought that our renovations of an existing house would not need architect's drawings for the work - but we have just had someone fairly experienced query that.

Essentially the property is a largish (circa 125 sq m ground floor) shell in 17. It was a house - probably once three back in the mists of time - and shows signs of fairly recent habitation (electrics, plumbing - which will be totally replaced - and water in situ, plus septic tank to be replaced by tout a gout). We will be adding stairs, but no additional windows except one Velux-type, replacing windows (same size),  adding one internal doorway through the walls on the first previously uninhabited first floor and some internal partition walls for en-suites and a bathroom.

Seemed straightforward enough - but doubts have been put in our minds about the need for an architect as the total habitable area will end up around 200 - 250 sq m.

Any comments please?

If it (the finished article) has what they call a SHON of over 170sqm. then will will need the plans for the planning permission either drawn by or signed off by a registered architect. Finding an architect to sign off your plans can be difficult.

Basically, for a house, the SHON is the total habitable floor area measure externally. There are a number of deductions allowed some of which can make a significant difference but if it's a house with a footprint of 125 sqm. over two habitable floors (250sqm?) it's unlikely that the deductions will bring it down to an SHON of <170sqm..

I have had my drawings done in Autocad with all descriptors and calcs translated. I intend to get a French Architect simply to adopt the design and produce a suite of drawings under their title block.....money for old rope...still costly though..it's to do with their PI insurance apparently. Nothing to stop you giving them existing elevations and floors etc. I like the two tranche idea...