COST FOR PLANNING APPROVAL IN DEPT 3 Auvergne

scotslassie

Already posted re finding architect but no-one out there yet...and another worry has cropped up.  I've been reading scarey amounts for planning approval which we hadnt budgeted for! We are buying a small barn 10.3 x 3.5 with CU to convert on 2 levels to make small 2 bed cottage..  I believe if we apply with plans we will not have to pay to apply but if it is approved a huge bill will come our way months down the line. Is this correct and any idea of costs anyone?  If it is priced per m2 would it be best to add a small extension later (like a conservatory/lounge on one level )as I am led to believe that if its small (under 20m2)  then you dont need planning anyway.  Also, apparently it makes a difference if its a first or second home.  How do they know you wont live there when its finished? We might but not sure and it will be 2 years before its habitable! Help!

Thank you both for the bad news so far.....!  I guess that means it would be as well to put it on the original planning application as it wouldnt save me any money by doing it later.  The actual cost is of concern though.  If I were to sell at a later date would this one off cost be classed as a deductible expense from any profit made?   I dont intend selling but you never know what's round the corner (ie how much in debt I will be by the end of this).   If I dont connect services immediately am I correct in believing there are no other taxes/costs to outlay whilst renovating other than materials/labour if used and does this situation only last for 2 years?  My french is exceptionally rusty and my budget minute, so any assistance to avoid nasty surprises will be a great help!