How near the knuckle?

BIG MAC

Just supposing you had an annexed barn and just suppossing you wanted to form a doorway through a gable end into it from a Cave (Being converted to a kitchen) and just supposing you enclosed said barn with a view perhaps one day to turning it into living space so put down a concrete slab. What approvals would be required? Barn is about 40sq m liveable surface currently about 150sq m. It strikes me that the Euro doing what it is it would be crazy to commit to our biggest project at the moment so have broken it down into three but would like the barn as a big dry temporary workshop for the next two years while I do other stuff. One last question..do I need consent to put doors on the end of a barn?

Well, if the barn and the house are physically attached, and are on the same parcel of land, then (according to my Mairie) it has - ipso facto - a certificate of Urbanism, so you can convert the barn part to living accomodation if you so wish.

However....

Because it seems the total sqm is greater than 170, you will need an architect-submitted P de C to do so.

Yes, you can put doors on the end of the barn provided you are using it as an agricultural building, something you would have a hard time proving (unless, of course you really ARE a farmer!).

edit - thanks Val, missed a thought and a line out !

We have a barn attached to our house. We put plans in to make the downstairs half in to a small gite. Reply was NO. They called it a piggery, so we are not allowed to use it. We can apply for change of use, but because we live in a agricultural area we are only allowed up to a 20m extension. We did go and see an architect, who said he could get us planning for the 20m, but it can only be used for ourselves, we would not be allowed to rent it out.  

Egger - the area of land the building sits on can also be a consideration when seeking to add additional living space. We are a small commune, so when I roll up and enquire about my barns, the secretary already knows they sit on 3 hectares, so that aspect isn't an issue. Which is - of course - why it completely slipped my mind (sorry)

p

Big Mac,

Perhaps the best thing to do at this stage is to consider the barn as a garage. That would need a concrete floor plus big enough doors to get a car through and an internal door to the house would seem sensible. You might be able to get away with a declaration prealable, but I'm no expert. Garages don't count towards the 170 m2 limit either.

You mention 'enclosing' the barn; is it like a préau --  open on one or more sides?