sealing concrete

Rose

Dear all... I'm looking for a sealant that I can buy in France and that I can use to seal our concrete floor. 

We've been converting our ground floor into half a house and we're progressing well but about to stop for a few weeks holiday as family and friends arrive.  I am going to be using my new kitchen - it's not finished but its good enough and better than the old one! 

The flooring is concrete at the moment and we will be tiling in a few weeks but in the interim I would like to seal the concrete as I've been told this will cut down on the dust?  I think I need something like Unibond but would appreciate if anyone could tell me what product I should buy and confirm for me that it will be fine to tile on top of it in a few weeks without worry.  Also, if you've used this how long should I leave it to dry before using the space...

Thanks in advance! [:)]

It's the UPVA glue that you mix with water and brush onto the floor /wall surface that seals it, but this is usually only to stop moisture in the wall/floor coming through.

With people walking on the floor, you wont reduce dust as wear and tear will just break the surface down.

Using a varnish will be ok temporarily, but that too will wear away.

neither method will harm any tiling you plan to do. Just remember to do your tiling in 'planned' sections as you really shouldn't walk on newly laid tiles for at least 24 hours.

If you have problems with dust getting everywhere when you sweep the floor..spray it over with a light covering of water first..this makes the dust clump as you brush it rather than billow up into the air and cover every surface.

Hope that helps you.

hi rose

whatever you do , don't use unibond if you intend to tile at a later date.....unibond reacts with most tile adhesives and reduces the bond strength. I suggest you check what tile adhesive you are going to use and only seal the floor with a recommended product.....better safe than sorry

sheldon

Hi Guys... thanks for the advice... After reading all of this and as it's only for about 3 weeks I think I'll save myself the trouble and just put up with a bit of dust for a few weeks more... after all we've lived with it for a few months now! [:D]

Sharkhunter... umm those builders will be me and hubbie!  Feeling pretty proud of ourselves really... it's all systems go this week, the fosse man turned up last week (at last - he was due the day the rain started) so he's finishing off now, the pool men are here finishing the terrace... once the fosse is complete we can connect the new kitchen and bathroom and we'll be in business!  We're not at the painting or finishing stage yet but we will be soon!  then of course we start on the upstairs!  Phew [blink]

Hi Rose, we had a similar problem once and used a floor paint (grey) specially for concrete floors, it meant we could keep it clean in a garage and utility area, very easy to mop over once done and easy to touch up where worn through, later on we did tile it with no problems. [8-|]

Sheldon is correct.

Tile adhesive relys on the water in the mix and the contact between the dry tile and dry floor that create the bonding process..which is the main reason why you not supposed to walk on them for at least 24 hours.

good luck with all that you're doing.