Smoke stains on fireplace

sid

Yeah, I know, where else would you expect to get smoke stains [:$] It may add 'character' but we'd prefer it clean.

We have a newish (2 years old) fireplace with woodburner; the stone which forms the 'mantlepiece' has become stained with smoke (the smoke was blowing back due to an unswept chimney, now remedied). Is there a product/method for removing the staining? It's decorative limestone.

Sid

We have a white stone fireplace too - it may be limestone but I don't know. It's in the Charente so it ought to have a  large element of chalk - calcium carbonate - ish stuff .

When our fireproof rope gave out on the insert we had a black smoke stain on the stone above. After trying various things I found that nail varnish cleaner (acetone?) did a great job. I dipped a cotton wool pad in it and rubbed away and it worked.

Thanks NR

I said limestone because it's local stone; the fireplace is from Cheminees Chazelles, Charente. However, it looks quite porous and I was afraid that any rubbing with a damp pad might just engrain it further. I was hoping that there might have been a specific product on the market, however I'll investigate the acetone!

Sid

Hi Sid,

We had a similar problem and used a product by a company called UNIFEU.

Its called, surprisingly, Nettoyant Pierre et Briques por cheminee and its available from Castorama.

Needs gloves and floor protection in use but it is very effective. Its a foaming aerosol application with a clean water wash-off.

I've got a full can spare if you want it.

Gary

Panic over. Sorry guys, I haven't looked at the thread for a while!! I'm busy on a roofing project (still !!).

BB, the "Nettoyant" product sounds just right! I'm clsoer to Castorama than to your place I think, and have to go there anyway, so I'll investigate that. Thanks for the offer!

Sid