SPANC inspection report

Halldfandid

I am looking for some advice. We recently had our fosse (toutes eaux) inspected by SPANC. The fosse was installed in 2004 by our first builder and then connected to the house by our second builder (you can sense the trouble already!).

The fosse is more than 10 m from the house. All the water (foul and grey) goes in the same 4 inch pipe from the house to the fosse. The pipe is under the kitchen floor with underfloor heating on top of it, so separating the foul from grey is not going to be easy. The SPANC inspector explained the situation (much as I have read on the forum) about the need for a grease trap - but that requires separation of grey from foul. When we told our builder (the one who had connected up the tank) he said that it was possible to put in a different type of trap between the house and fosse - not a grease trap - but something else that everything would go into. Is this correct ? Does anyone know if this is possible ? Are we facing having to move the fosse nearer to the house ? Is there any other way out of this mess ?

Also the report that has come from SPANC in the "Conclusion du SPANC" says  "le dispositif est Acceptable" and then goes on to give a commentary much as I have above about the need for a grease trap etc.  What does "Acceptable" mean in this instance ? Does it mean acceptable until their next visit when it will not be acceptable if nothing has changed ?

All advice appreciated - I just want to know my facts when I get into the negotiations with the builder - the SPANC inspector was very clear on the fact that it is the builder's problem (but it is my problem to get him to do something about it!)

Thanks,

Irene

We had a similar problem, more than 10 metres of pipework, and were instructed to "placer entre la fosse et le systeme de traitement un filtre appelé également décolloideur"

This was accepted by SPANC in place of a grease-trap.

Hope this helps, I have no idea what it means [:)]

Thanks for that - sounds like the builder knows what he's talking about - why didn't he do that in the first place.....!

Does anyone know what "acceptable" means in this context ?  Will they suddenly decide on the next inspection that it is no longer "acceptable" ?

Thanks again,

Irene