Poele a granules

bixy

I thought others might be interested in our experience with this kind of heating. The poele is situated in a room of about 50 cubic metres. It is rated at max 8.3 kw, so not surprisingly heats this space more then adequately at the minimum setting. At higher settings obviously it could heat a much larger space. What has been surprising has been the fuel consumption. At the minimum setting it is supposed to consume .9kg of pellets per hour. It is consuming much less than this. It runs for about 14 hours a day and in this time consumes about 7kg. According to my maths that's half a kilo an hour. Our other heating is a log burner rated at 7kw and I reckon that the poele a granules is a lot cheaper to run, given the prices of granules and firewood. It also consumes a small amount of electricity [the poele]. One great advantage over the log burner is that it only needs to be filled once a day. In fact we could probably stretch this to once every two days given that the reservoir holds 15 kg. An additional advantage is the drying effect it has. It is installed in a room that was formerly dripping with moisture, with black mould growing on the walls. Now it's bone dry - I just checked the humidity - 46%.

So all in all we are pretty please with it. Disadvantages ? Well there is the constant noise of the blower, which might be distracting to some people, but we found we quite quickly got used to it.

And don't forget, the government gives you back 40% of the cost.

Manufacturer: Edilkamin; model Iris Plus.

Patrick