Contract for a New Build

Hi,

We have just decided on a builder and are wondering what we should expect to see in the contract and what would you recommend we make sure is included?

Also do we have to insure the site or should the builder do that?

Any other suggestions that may help, would also be welcome.

Thanks in anticipation.

cheers

pete

Hi Pete

We have just completed a new build in the Aude.

Insurance - the builder must insure the site until handover, ask for a copy of his insurance certificate.

Stage payments - you will have to make these but it might be worth negotiating lower initial percentages (as this will hurry things along a bit)

Check to see if painting/kitchen units are included (they usually aren't so you need at allow funds for these)

Get them to commit to the connection of services, sometimes thay will put an arbitatry max distance on this, insist they cover it all so at least you know what the cost will be in advance.

Tiling - normally only done partway up the wall in bathrooms - if it's important to you, make sure they allow for full height tiling.

Shower bases - they ususally quote 70 X 70 (too small!!!) aks for 90 X 90 at the outset

Try to get a completion date guarantee with a penalty, they probably will resist this as everything slips! but worth a go...

Houses in France take up to 2 years to build no matter what the builder tells you, you should allow for this and you won't be dissapointed.

Drop me a PM if you want more info (rogues to avoid, for example)

Bonne chance !

Phil

Phil,

Any advice on the insurance aspect when the 'new build' requires a number of trades people and the Archetect offers to act as the project manager.

There is no principal trades person, unless it is defined by their proportion of the work of the total cost, but I can't imagine them carrying the insurance cost of other trades people?

Thanks

Hi Trevour

We also had an Architect, they will normally provide the insurance cover if they contract for a design and build arrangement. I think they would then take on the role of Maitre D'ouvrage (developer)

In actual fact our architect was unable to get all the trades organised and we ended up using a building company to do the whole project.  I would ask your architect for reference sites and speak to the owners to make sure he has the relevent experince and trade subconractors to achieve this. Having an architect do the whole project seemed like a good idea at the time but I think if I was doing it again I would just get them to do the plans and hand the whole thing over (as we had to in the end) to a reasonable sized building company.

In our region (Aude 11) builders and artisans have long waiting lists due to the amount of new builds in progress currently. it may be different in your region??

Bonne Chance!

Phil

hi pete don't agree with phil saying that it takes two years to build here, the piece of land next door to us has just had a two storey house built on it, the builder started the build in may this year, and this week is putting the tiles on the roof. so thats just over three months, from footings to roof, our english builder friend went and had a nose one evening, and his comment was fabulous job.

Hi Fussy, yeah i've heard all different time frames from 8 months to 2 years plus, I think it depends on the builder. Our planning consent could possibly be a hold up because it has to go before batiments de France. Where in France are you and who are the builders?

cheers

pete

Don't be in such a rush to see your new house shoot up in record time! Here in Languedoc-Roussillon the ground can be a mixture of hard rock to shale, and many sites are on (steep) sloping ground. Foundations are sometimes left to settle for six months or more before the ground floor is built. In the past there have been instances of entire buildings shifting, the first evidence being the cracks that start to appear in walls and floors. Best to take professional advice from someone used to building on the sort of ground you have in mind for your new home. You are not dealing with a typical Wimpey or Barrett Homes site in the UK.

P-D de Rouffignac

we live in the vendee, dept 85 dont know how near you are, if you  are close then I will try and get the builders name, he doesnt speak english though, but he is the tidiest builder ever, and came on sight on the dot of 8.30 every day sat in his van with his lunch, then left site at 6'oclock, I almost want a house built so that I could use him.

[quote user="P-D de Rouffignac"]

Don't be in such a rush to see your new house shoot up in record time! Here in Languedoc-Roussillon the ground can be a mixture of hard rock to shale, and many sites are on (steep) sloping ground. Foundations are sometimes left to settle for six months or more before the ground floor is built. In the past there have been instances of entire buildings shifting, the first evidence being the cracks that start to appear in walls and floors. Best to take professional advice from someone used to building on the sort of ground you have in mind for your new home. You are not dealing with a typical Wimpey or Barrett Homes site in the UK.

P-D de Rouffignac

[/quote]

Hi PDR, Thanks for your reply.

We are not in any particular hurry (other than, now we've committed it's natural to want  things asap) and we are under no illusions that everything will go without a hitch, just going to go with the flow.

As far as the groundworks/foundations are concerned, we were aware of the possible problems and that was one of the reasons we chose a local builder. He has a good reputation in the area and also built a house, about 300 metres away, approx 3-4 years ago. We had the opportunity to meet the owner and see the house without the builders knowledge, the comments were very favourable and the build quality extremely high. We did as much research as possible at the time and are still looking in to various aspects even now, hence joining several forums (forii ??[:)]).and trying to glean as much information as we can. Luckily we have had some good responses.

Hi Fussy, Thanks for the reply,

As you can see from the above we already have a builder in place, I was only wondering where you were and, if it had been more local, was it the same builder. I have seen some of his work and also his yard and he is very tidy also. I have been involved with construction (on a much larger scale) and do recognise that the good tradesmen do tend to keep things tidy, always a good sign[;-)]. 

Once again thank you both for your input.

cheers

pete