Permis de demolir.....will probably be refused.....what happens when it falls down?

cassie

We have just bought a longere  in dept 35 which we were hoping to renovate  but it has deteriorated very badly  since we last saw it as the roof has gone.. One part of it (20%) has been renovated and we are living in it as  holiday home, with a view to moving out permanently soon.

We have been informed we are unlikely to get permission to demolish  the dangerous   60% of it cos it is 400 years old.

However  the  60% of  it is beyond repair and is imminently about to fall down.  We want knock down this dangerous bit and save the other 20 %  so that we can repair it and join it to the other 20 % to provide a decent sized house.

If it is left to fall down ...it may take down ALL of it ......(a builder reckons the 20% we live in and a further 20 % should be O.K.)

What should we do ?

What happens if we apply for permission to demolish 60 % and this is refused and then it falls down ? They cannot make us re-build it...can they?....nobody has that much money, as it is enormous!!

Advice appreciated

[quote user="dennis"]

We have just bought a longere  in dept 35 which we were hoping to renovate  but it has deteriorated very badly  since we last saw it as the roof has gone.. One part of it (20%) has been renovated and we are living in it as  holiday home, with a view to moving out permanently soon.

We have been informed we are unlikely to get permission to demolish  the dangerous   60% of it cos it is 400 years old.

However  the  60% of  it is beyond repair and is imminently about to fall down.  We want knock down this dangerous bit and save the other 20 %  so that we can repair it and join it to the other 20 % to provide a decent sized house.

If it is left to fall down ...it may take down ALL of it ......(a builder reckons the 20% we live in and a further 20 % should be O.K.)

What should we do ?

What happens if we apply for permission to demolish 60 % and this is refused and then it falls down ? They cannot make us re-build it...can they?....nobody has that much money, as it is enormous!!

Advice appreciated

[/quote]

I can't provide advice however were it me....I would likely take the view that permission to demolish unlikely to be granted due to the historical interest in the old building. Therefore I would look to produce a schedule of the remaining 'Worthy' elements including masonry taking detailed photos and ask for permission to sympathetically rebuild a structure in the 'style of' and incrporating as may of the old elements as possible. so you may end up with retained/repaired crux framing and purlins to the roof but new insulation chevrons and slates. you may re-use floor joists (If they are re-usable it's likely money wont buy better if they are oak) but reclaimed/ new floorboards. You could point out that you are hardly likely to carry out this work and not properly insulate/ ventilate/ treat and protect the building as best you can therefore preserving it for posterity. I don't know if there are grants available for heritage work but it's worth an ask, also can you get any TVA breaks as a result of bring back a errrr 'Monument'. Be creative would be my mantra! good luck!!