Water Heater Unusual Plug

Jazzer

I have a Casto water heater which I have not usedin the 3 years I have owned my house,I now need to use it but see that there is a plug of 2" diameter with 2 large round pins and a Uk type square shape on the top, but horizoantal rather then vertical. make Legrand 20a 400 v. Is it safe to replace with a French plug or is there some other kind of socket I am missing?

What you have is a three pin 20A French plug, which would mean that the water heater may be rated more than a standard 16A plug could cope with.

What is the power rating and voltage on the heater ? This is important, as this plug could either be used for single phase ( Live, neutral and earth) or two phase ( two phases and earth).

In any case, the Regs say that a water heater (being a fixed appliance) should be wired directly to a "boitier de connection" rather than a plug and socket, but it is difficult to know what you actually have in terms of a water heater. If you can give me some more info, I will be glad to help further.

www.punchardrenovation.com