Will you drop out???

John the Bear

Does anyone know please, when you have replacement windows in France if the bottom sill is closer than 1m to the floor whether it is true that you now have to have an ornamental rail fitted to stop people falling out. We have been told by a couple of people that you do but we feel it spoils the look of the front of the house.

I hadn't heard of it but many French houses do have a wrought or cast iron inset to the window reveals. I have seen some modern equivalents which while stylish may detract from a traditional building.

Perhaps a bar on the inside which could be 'removeable for cleaning purposes'? Ahem........

The window companies and even the suppliers only have always questioned our window to floor heights on the first floor with the fitment of a garde corps to to be incorporated.Difficult to fit inside as a La francaise windows open inwards-this is to let water in if trying to ventilate in rainy weather.They dont do things easy here.The more difficult the better!A La Norme! Maude.

I fitted them to all the upstairs Gite windows, "just in case", but I dont have them in my own appartment. I would like to think that I am sensible enough to not fall out the windows, but you cant be too carefull regarding the potential stupidity of strangers.