Instant heat ???

connolls

Hello everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place to post but couldn't think of another forum.

We want to buy a couple of "instant heaters" as we only have the log burner at present (until the central heating is sorted out).

We are contemplating either gas bottle type (Radiateur catalyse gaz) or one of the Poele a Petrole type.

Has anyone got either, and what do you think of them, for ease of use , economy, smell, etc,etc. ???

If anyone has any thoughts or info we would really appreciate the recomendations.

Thanks Mel.

Until we had central heating installed we had a couple of modern petrole heaters and they were very, very efficient.  They do smell a bit (but not badly) when they are first fired up and again when they are turned off but once they are up and running they don't smell at all.  Also, if you decide to go down this route, don't believe all this guff about "non smelly" paraffin.  We started off buying the most expensive brand but when the price began to sky-rocket we tried the cheapest we could find.  Quelle surprise ..... no difference whatsoever so we stuck with the cheap stuff.

The big supermarkets like Auchan and Leclerc often have promotions on paraffin so it's worth keeping your eyes open.

Stay warm!

Janet

.... and another tip.  Don't try economising by running them below 18 degrees.  We have a friend who thought she would turn her stove down to try and save a few pennies but then complained that it was smelling.  They don't seem to operate so well at very low temperatures and are thermostatically controlled so we found that keeping one in the hall ticking over at 18 during really cold weather kept the whole ground floor cosy.  For an instant burst of heat then 20 or 21 will soon do the trick.

Janet

.... me again!  Just a final thought.  The kind of heater I was talking about was the fan assisted (ie plug it into the mains) type.  They do cost more initially but they push out the heat toot sweet and they're also programmable so if you don't like getting up to a cold house you can set them to come on when you want.

That's it - my fountain of wisdom has run dry.

Janet

Can someone give me an idiots guide please?

Not sure I know what these are (run on fuel yet powered by electricity) is that correct?

Sorry never come across these before but may be just what I need for my winter weekend visits to the house with just one log burner and nothing else.  Presumably they are cheaper to run and quicker to heat up.than a wholly electric oil filled radiator.

Thanks

Poêle à petrole:  it is a paraffin heater and, if you choose a model with a fan that will distribute the heat generated by the paraffin, then the fan needs a connection to a power point in order to work.

There are basically 2 types of these heaters:  a radiant type where you can see the glowing element and it will heat the space in front of it; the fan models, however, have a more discreet heating device which is not visible as any sort of glow but whose heat is distributed around the room by fan action.

Sorry, not trying to sound like I am teaching primary school physics but I can't think of how else I can describe these things.  Why not pop into a shop and see the different models, talk to a shop assistant or perhaps see a demonstration of one is use?

Hi,

Just to say as the original poster that I took the advice given (and gratefully received). Went on the hunt for Pre-winter bargains and got what I thought was a very well priced "poele a petrole" from Casteroma on sale at 189 euro's.

Got all the fancy stuff people suggested from the "new type" e.g 24 hour timer, thermostat control, safety device, etc etc etc.

Had to have a litttle try (despite the lovely weather) and it's "BRILL"

Here's to some cosy nights in !!!!!

Thanks Mel.