re Strength of Euro

Thanks to all who have replied to my first forum post. It is very gratifying to know that so many people with experience are reading and willing to share knowledge.

It seems the consensus is that the pound is unlikely to strengthen much if at all in the near future. So looking to save myself some money, I have read many times on this site that buying privately is the way to go. I agree. In theory a private sale will be around 8% less expensive. My problem when I am only able to visit for two or three weeks is finding property for sale privately. Does anyone know of a website advertising property for sale privately? Alternatively is anyone selling or know of someone selling a house in the Southern Vendee? My area of preference is the Marais Poitevin but would consdier anywhere within a 15k radius of Fontenay le Comte. I am looking for a renovated, older stone built property with 3+ bedrooms and land from 500 to around 1500 sq mtrs. A garage or dependence large enough to store a car would be nice. My budget is up to 225000 Euro. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. In fact I would go as far as being willing to pay a finder's fee for the right property.

There are loads of sites for private sales.  the biggest is www.pap.com   and www.entreparticuliers.com. Look under 'chambre regionale des notaires' on their web site of your preferred area.  Their fees are lower than agents.  Then there are all the private ads on sites like www.propertyenfrance.com  and many similar property sites which have a high proportion of private (particulier) sales, as do the many French property magazines on sale in the UK. Good luck with your search.

I am looking for a site where people are asking for private properties. I have french friends who are selling their properties, and they ask if i know of any english persons that may be interested.

5 bedroom house in Tarn et Garonne,      4 bedroom house in Lot.     Restaurant in Lot et Garonne.

If anyone has any ideas, much appreciated.

Another factor that might help is we are moving into a buyers market and property owners who want to sell in the next year or two are going to have to be realistic and flexible on price. Therefore, you might find that you can negotiate a deal that offsets the fall in the value of the £.