English Speaking Architect

Jax

HI - can anyone recommend an architect some where around Champagne Ardenne my French is OK but my partner who will be managing the project struggles with the language somewhat. Any recommendations gratefully received.

Many thanks

Hi, Slightly off topic but if your partner is competent to project manage then you shouldn't need to restrict yourself  as to where your Architect comes from too much. I would suggest that an Architect with whom you are comfortable and who 'Gets' your vision and priorities may be more important than his proximity to project.

I don't know the size of your undertaking but I would have thought a few design visits, a couple of valuation visits possibly and a sign off may be all that is required?

Just a thought and hopefully helpful

Thanks for that, it's approx 450 meters squared so my understanding is the plans have to be signed off by an Architect who is French registered slightly annoying as David's Uncle is an Architect in the UK but not registered over here and therefore not fully aware of regs etc ..

The uncle can still do the designs and, through RIBA (his own professional organisation in the UK), he will be able to get in touch with a French architect who can then tweak the drawings (if needed) and put them through his (the French architect's) office.

As far as I know, nowadays many building regulations are EU specific and there seems to be a lot of conformity.  In any case, good building design should stand the test of different regulations (for example, a load-bearing wall has to be designed to a certain standard in order to be fit for purpose) and, in a sense, if the designs are good, there shouldn't be problems.

Of course, you would still expect to pay a fee for use of the French architect's services but at least you might a) get a reduced fee (especially if introduced through RIBA) and b) you get the design that you want.

I am using an Architectural tecnician in Hampshire with a colleague who has a French speaking girlfriend.

There is an English speaking Architect local to me .....I intend to provide him with the design on disc to check and submit at his normal hourly rates without having to endure/ enjoy many visits