Electrical question?

BIG MAC

Single conductors with braided core can be used in "gaine" conduits but the most popular is the rigid type. Popular for several reasons, but for example it's easier to connect with the auto-connectors where you just push the wire into the terminal. In fact flexible ones don't work at all for this. Many sockets and switches have these terminals now.

I wouldn't use the Screwfix product for house wiring; it has rubber sheath whereas all the multicore cable here appears to be PVC and that's what the "normes" specify.

You can get a similar (not the same!) product, but with rigid cores and PVC sheath from LeroyMerlin (and no doubt loads of other places) for 35€ (or less)! Here's a 50m 3-core cable, (the "3G" indicates that one of the 3-cores is yellow/green for an earth), and this complies with French normes for the uses indicated on the product spec.. 1.5mm can be used for sockets but I would only use this for lighting, for example to an exterior floodlight or something. I always use 2.5mm for sockets.

http://tinyurl.com/3vfopg3

• 2 weeks later...

Well, BricoDepot probably, for one. [geek] I used to go there regularly, and still find them good for cheap tools.

However, many places are considerably more expensive!

The "proper" stuff has the cable type stamped on ti, by the way, printed or embossed every half-metre or so. Look for NF for French approved materials.

Over the past 7 months I've been doing a renovation and I've got fed-up with going to certain brico sheds (as above) and finding that they've only got half of the stuff I need. This hasn't been the case at LM and they are now my favoured first port of call. As an aside, many of the staff speak English and we often have conversations where they speak English and I speak French! Good for both of us!

I needed multicouche piping and fittings for one job and found that whilst Bricodepot were cheaper they had everything apart from 2 "t" connections, without which I couldn't complete the job. I went up to LM in Angouleme (now more easily accessible for us via the new "rocade") and bought everything I needed and got some useful advice into the bargain.