Drawing plans for barn conversion

Landscaper22

I am in the process of drawing up the plans for converting a barn into a holiday home. The SHON is just under the 170 sq m limit.

The local maire has no problems with what we are proposing although we understand that the plans have to be approved at the DDE.

My question is this - Do they check up on surface area calculations? I am pretty sure of my measurements and calculations.

Also, are there any checks on the work carried out to the drawings as in England with the building control inspectors? We are not planning to try to hide anything - just that we may want to make some alterations to the original plans as we go along - nothing major- positions of windows/ roof lights/ doorways etc. and we do not want to cause any problems.

We have another outbuilding/garage of approx. 60 sq m that we may want to convert in 4/5 years time which would take us over the 170 sq m limit. Would it mean using a French Architec for that work ?

I suggest that you stroll along to the DDE office and check your 170 sq m calculation before you go too far in detailed drawings.

I'd expect that anything visible from the outside (windows, etc.) will need approval for a change of plan, but I doubt if anybody will be round with a tape measure for minor discrepancies.

If the outbuilding is separate from the main house then it gets its own 170 sq m allowance. I think this also applies if it's semi-detached, with no internal access between the two parts, but I wouldn't swear to it.

I have a feeling the 'semi-detached' bit is subject to local interpretation: I know of almost identical buildings which were deemed to be,  part of the house's 170, and quite separate from,  in different departments. So - again - check with your DDE.

This is France, after all, where a regulation which is strictly  adhered to, and rigidly enforced in one department, is 'more honoured in the breach than in the observance', in another !

p

I understand there is some sort of time limit on this, 5 years I think.

Its appears to be common practice in our area to lay a large base well over 170sq.m, build a house at one end, a garage at the other and put a roof over the lot making a ‘covered patio area’ in the middle. At the right time the ‘patio area’ is walled up and the house enlarged without any need for architects! Simples!