Looking for Something New

clsoan

I have never done this before so please bear with me.. I am single I haved lived in the U.S.A all of my life. I Am looking for a place to live that is quiet, and historical. I know I want to move to France I just dont know where.. I would like some good advice.. on houses in France... something reasonable, not expensive. I like the country.. Please If some one wouldnt mind helping I would greatly appriciate it.. 

Welcome to the Forum.  When you are saying that you are looking for something new - a new adventure or a new house?

In the meantime, take a look at this thread initiated by someone who wants to move from South Africa.  It has some useful information.

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1145513/ShowPost.aspx

You can do a search on the Forum.  On the home page, on the top right, is a box and you can type in words that might be apt.  There are a couple of other threads that you may find interesting and I'll have a look for you.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to do some more research on the different areas of France. It is a big country (not as big as the U.S. I grant you!) but there are many variations in climate, scenery, culture and prices. If you can be more specific about what you are looking for, or if you don't know perhaps research will help, then perhaps we can help you a bit more.

I agree with Rob Roy. Many people living in the US get only two weeks' holiday a year and Europe is a long way from home, so I'm guessing the OP hasn't holidayed much in France, if at all. I'd recommend doing so, or perhaps renting somewhere fairly central for six months and trying to see as much as possible of the country in that time before choosing where to settle. Many areas of France could fit the brief, depending on budget and expectations re climate, cultural activities, employment etc.

Hi clsoan, and welcome to the forum!

If the place in France was a place in the US, where would it be?  If you tell us that, those of us who know the US can direct you to a few French places that would be similar.  Best wishes.

clsoan,

I presume you are a US citizen and looking to move to France permanently? If so, were any of your parents or grandparents born in what are now European Union Countries through which you could claim dual nationality and an EU passport?

If not, you will require a visa to live and work in France and this is not easily obtained unless you can be transferred by an existing employer or sponsored by a prospective employer in France, who has to demonstrate that the vacancy you are filling could not be filled by a comparably qualified and experienced European Union citizen. As a US citizen you can visit France on vacation, but are prohibited from work and only permitted to spend six months in any one year in the country. There is also the possibility that individual visits might be restricted to three months in the future, reflecting comparable restrictions the US has placed on EU Nationals visiting the USA.

As the USA has tightened up on immigration since 9/11, to the extent it is now extremely difficult for an EU national to obtain permanent residency in America,  EU countries have reciprocated by tightening immigration policy on US citizens wanting to move there permanently.