Trick for joining PVC tube d'evacuation where there is no slack?

joidevie

Is there some easy trick for joining two lengths of straight grey PVC (40mm) where I need to join them but am unable to move them to either side? I've had to cut into a section to add some additional pipework, but am left with a join to make where the pipes are quite rigid and yanking them to either side to slip in a 'manchon egal' is impossible..

I've seen the 40cm grey flexibles which is an obvious option, but eventually being behind placo I was hoping for a more 'serious' method - or am I concerning myself too much about using a flexible?

Perhaps some 'manchon' which can be slid over one of the pipe ends, the pipes then aligned, much glue on either end, then the manchon very quickly dragged over the section to be joined (whilst gently twisting to give a good bond)? Is this orthodox or a bit risky?

Many thanks for any experiences..

Your there with your idea. You simply file out the little plastic 'stop' in the centre of a straight connector then slide it over one of the pipes, put some glue over both bits to be joined and quickly slide it back so its roughly centralised over the joint. You will get about 10 to 20 seconds once the glue comes in contact with both bits which for such a small amount of movement is quite a long time.

Your need a 'curved' often called a semi round file in English to file out the 'stop' inside the joining piece and try it dry before you add the glue. Good luck.

I have had to do quite a few recently and in trenches and they are certainly easier said than done, you can buy one made for the job called une coulisse which is a lie as slide they dont!!!

I make mine as described and also try to open up the internal diameter using a flap wheel in a die grinder, every little helps as unless everything is perfectly aligned and you can work at warp speed the glue will grab as you try to slide the manchon.

Trenches are the wost as when you cut the pipe it inevitably springs out of line, quite late in the day I perfected my technique, I now split the manchon along its length and use a couple of  3 or 4 mm wood packers as wedges to open it out a tad, this then slides easily over the preglued sections of pipe and doesnt grab until the wedges are removed, at which time I also clamp up both the joints with strong tywraps.

With the split at the top of the pipe for evacuation the waters will never touch the join but you can silicone it if you wish.

I have left the trench open for a week to test the joints and none of them leaked whereas my previous ones were lucky to seal, TBH a small leak on a buried foul water or waste pipe is not a problem, many artisans dont even glue the joints, where I would be cautious to use my method would be on a hidden bath or sink waste on an upper floor.