Copper plumbing pipe cutters

stan

Following on from my thermostatic shower problem, the only way now that it can be remedied without bursting plasterboard is to use one of the round automatic type copper pipe cutters which are use when space is restricted and there is no room for the standard cutters or pliers. The only ones I can see are for the UK market but would only fit a 15mm pipe, whereas here in France the particular pipe I need to cut is 14mm.

Any plumbers out there know of a similar French product for French pipe diameters, or know if French plumbers use such a tool too?

Do I assume it's THIS your talking about?

I bought on from BD and it was the worse side of useless, kept 'screwing' down the pipe, not very good when you are in a tight spot and only so much length to play with.

I would suggest paying a little more and buy from a better store with 'branded' products. My last one, a Stanley I think, lasted many years with no problem till I dropped it and could not retrieve it. My new one from Leroy Merlin and is a Draper, it is very good and cost about 11 Euros.

Wouldn't a 15mm do the job?

But in any case be wary of buying a very cheap compact adjustable type; I bought one but I can't remember where from! It's very badly made and the little guide wheels and the cutter are not exactly square to the pipe with the result that you start to cut a spiral!! [:-))]  This type also needs more space than the automatic type as it has the knurled adjuster which sticks out. It made my job more work than I planned!

EDIT  I see that Quillan got one too!!

[quote user="sid"]

Wouldn't a 15mm do the job?

But in any case be wary of buying a very cheap compact adjustable type; I bought one but I can't remember where from! It's very badly made and the little guide wheels and the cutter are not exactly square to the pipe with the result that you start to cut a spiral!! [:-))]  This type also needs more space than the automatic type as it has the knurled adjuster which sticks out. It made my job more work than I planned!

EDIT  I see that Quillan got one too!!

[/quote]

Would a 15mm round tool, like the Monument brand do? I know the difference is only 1mm, but the ads all say that the relevant pipe diameter must be exact.

Thanks Chancer, for the Brico-Depot advice, but space is tight and I think the sticky out bit would impede the process !