CEMENT BLOCK WALL

Angie

Hi all

We are doing a self-build wall - only 3 courses high using the grey cement blocks and then crepe.  We noticed when we've had building work done (by professionals) that one guy staggered the bricks like we would in the UK jointing them with cement in between, the other laid them directly on top of each other (so the joints were in a line) and filled the cavity with concrete from the top rather than "pointing" them as he went along.  Both methods seem to have worked fine.  As we are novices and the second method would be much easier for us i.e. no cutting, we were just wondering whether this is how these blocks should be used?  We are going to put some of those metal rods in for extra support (although not a high wall it is long and we are on a slight slope).

Thanks very much

I have only ever seen them laid in stretcher bond - staggered by half a block, filling the joints from above as each block laid.

There are "special" blocks, designed to be cut, which are mixed in with the normal blocks from all the suppliers I have used. Just try to make sure you get enough of these for your needs.

I think putting one on top of another would tend to eventually produce vertical cracks, even if the cavity formed were filled with concrete and rebar.

Its as I thought, thank you (frankly its what we're used to so would be happier doing it stretcher bond I think) - good to know that I can still fill the joints from above though - that will definitely save a lot of time; I'm no brickie!!  Didn't realise about the "special" blocks so thanks for the tip.  Regards